Police officer Rhonda Cockerton had only been on the beat for two years when her daughter Shannon, 20, followed her into the police force.
And the crime-fighting constables for Counties Manukau haven't looked back, with Rhonda, 49, beaming proudly about her daughter following in her footsteps.
"She's doing such an amazing job as a learning cop," explains Rhonda.
"She has a really good head on her shoulders and, like me, a real victim focus. She's naturally good at dealing with people. I was really excited when she said she was going to give it a go."
The mum-of-four enrolled at police college when she was 46 in 2015. Fighting crime had always been the dream, but she waited until after her children had grown up.
It's something Shannon admires. "She still puts us first even now, as well as working," she explains. "She's Superwoman really. She does everything."
The pair spend every waking hour discussing their jobs, much to the annoyance of Rhonda's youngest son Riley, 10.
Rhonda laughs, "We've always been close, but having this in common makes us even closer. It's something else for us to talk about, but Riley is like, 'Can you two just not talk about work?'"
And for Shannon, having a mentor in her mum is a blessing. "I am really lucky with Mum and it's really special having her in the same job," says Shannon.
"She's such an inspiration. She went from mum to police officer so seamlessly. I had so much pride watching her chase her dream."
- TVHow winning The Block has changed Tim and Arty's lives forever
Woman's DayNov 25, 2021
- At homeBring summer into your home with this colour pallette
Now To LoveNov 25, 2021
- RoyalsAre Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank planning baby number two already?
Woman's DayNov 23, 2021
- RoyalsThe Queen’s special appearance for two of her great-grandsons after weeks of health concerns
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 23, 2021
- Royals"She's alright!": The Queen makes her first in-person appearance since October hospital scare
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 18, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKim Crossman's hidden heartache and why being a mum will have to wait
Woman's DayNov 18, 2021
- Food & DrinksEnjoy the taste of Provence with these refreshing rosé wines
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 17, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi mum Rachel reveals how her premature son changed her life
Woman's DayNov 17, 2021
- RoyalsBuckingham Palace confirms the Queen will attend the annual Remembrance Day Service
Now To LoveNov 12, 2021