He was always an outspoken judge on Dancing with the Stars New Zealand, but Kiwi dancer Brendan Cole's big mouth seems to have landed him the boot from the UK's version of the hit show after 15 seasons.
Brendan (41) has been fired from Strictly Come Dancing due to his "huge ego and difficult behaviour", insiders claim. The professional dancer confirmed the news he's been let go on a British daytime television show last week, admitting he was "in shock".
"It's quite hard to talk about," he says.
"The BBC haven't renewed my contract. I'm quite emotional, a bit raw about it."
While Brendan's opinionated manner has won him many fans, sources close to the series say the same cannot be said about its crew, who labelled him a nightmare to work with.
The final straw for producers seemingly came after Brendan gave an interview where he criticised the celebrities he was given to coach on Strictly.
"I don't have a say in who I am partnered with," he said. "I don't think you would do it if you knew who some of them were.
"I have not liked a few of them. It is more than 50% I have liked. When you meet people and work with them, you don't necessarily like all of them. Can I say that? I'm going to get fired, aren't I?"
Brendan, who was paired up with celebrities such as Lulu and Jo Wood, proved to be correct. Just weeks later, BBC bosses confirmed their decision not to renew his dancer's contract, with those close to the production said to be "relieved".
"Producers were said to be furious over his recent interview, in which he criticised his celebrity partners," a source tells. "They've always tolerated his rows with judges as it creates drama, but this was a step too far."
Another insider adds, "Brendan's ego and attitude became too much to handle, and in reality, that's why he's gone. He brought it on himself.
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank have revealed the name of their son
Now To LoveFeb 21, 2021
- RoyalsPrince Harry and Duchess Meghan are having another baby!
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2021
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie & husband Jack Brooksbank have welcomed their first child
Now To LoveFeb 10, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Paul Patterson: 'I'm cooking up romance'
Woman's DayFeb 03, 2021
- MindBeating the bottle: My party girl life was killing me
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJan 25, 2021
- TVOur broody Bachelorette: 'David Attenborough is my dream man'
Woman's DayJan 20, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020