He was always an outspoken judge on Dancing with the Stars New Zealand, but Kiwi dancer Brendan Cole's big mouth seems to have landed him the boot from the UK's version of the hit show after 15 seasons.
Brendan (41) has been fired from Strictly Come Dancing due to his "huge ego and difficult behaviour", insiders claim. The professional dancer confirmed the news he's been let go on a British daytime television show last week, admitting he was "in shock".
"It's quite hard to talk about," he says.
"The BBC haven't renewed my contract. I'm quite emotional, a bit raw about it."
While Brendan's opinionated manner has won him many fans, sources close to the series say the same cannot be said about its crew, who labelled him a nightmare to work with.
The final straw for producers seemingly came after Brendan gave an interview where he criticised the celebrities he was given to coach on Strictly.
"I don't have a say in who I am partnered with," he said. "I don't think you would do it if you knew who some of them were.
"I have not liked a few of them. It is more than 50% I have liked. When you meet people and work with them, you don't necessarily like all of them. Can I say that? I'm going to get fired, aren't I?"
Brendan, who was paired up with celebrities such as Lulu and Jo Wood, proved to be correct. Just weeks later, BBC bosses confirmed their decision not to renew his dancer's contract, with those close to the production said to be "relieved".
"Producers were said to be furious over his recent interview, in which he criticised his celebrity partners," a source tells. "They've always tolerated his rows with judges as it creates drama, but this was a step too far."
Another insider adds, "Brendan's ego and attitude became too much to handle, and in reality, that's why he's gone. He brought it on himself.
- At homeHow clean, green living can start with small day-to-day changes in the kitchen
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- TVLaura Daniel and her DWTS partner Shae Mountain get matching tattoos
Now To LoveToday 10:41am
- RoyalsPrince William was just asked how he'd feel if one of his children came out as gay
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerMeet the trailblazing female shepherd who won a prestigious award previously only won by men
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:18am
- RoyalsYet another example of the harsh double standard Duchess Meghan faces
Now To LoveToday 8:15am
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveYesterday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 8:05am
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveJun 25, 2019