Singer Peter Andre has opened up in a candid interview with Woman's Own magazine about the crippling anxiety and panic attacks he used to face daily during the height of his fame in the 1990s, at one point so bad that he'd have up to 20 panic attacks a day.
Speaking to the magazine the 46-year-old Mysterious Girl hitmaker revealed: "I felt like I was an icon, and I started living like one, the worst thing you can do is start believing the hype surrounding you…
"All the signs were showing that mentally I wasn't in the best shape."
According to Metro UK, the father-of-four then went on to explain that at the time, the episodes would come out of nowhere.
The singer recalled a family meal with his parents where he suddenly found himself shaking out of the blue, revealing: "My mind became flooded with images of me hurting myself, it was terrifying.
"I ran to my room crying and shaking, I was rushed to hospital.
"For two years, I suffered up to 20 panic attacks a day, my only escape was when I was sleeping, so I would often spend up to 18 hours a day asleep."
The British-Australian star also previously revealed in an interview with Holly and Phil on This Morning, that it was with the help of Kiwi supermodel Rachel Hunter's sister Jackie, that he began his journey towards understanding and re-gaining control.
"It all started from Jackie Hunter, which is Rachel Hunter's sister, and she introduced me to someone in America that didn't believe in medication at all."
Peter explained that with the help of medication, which he is now free from, and years of therapy, he was able to gain control over his social anxiety.
"Medication is a bit like sweeping it under the carpet," Peter told the hosts, "but I needed the medication to get me to the point where I could talk about what was causing my anxiety in therapy.
"Knowledge is key, once I understood what was going on… it changed over time, realising what the triggers are."
Adding: "I also thought, how many times have I been through a panic attack and nothing has happened afterwards?
"Understanding it's not going to hurt you makes you stronger, it puts you in a better position."
Peter was previously married to UK glamour model Katie Price, after they met on the third season of I'm a Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here, and the pair had two children together, Junior, 14, and Princess, 12, before they split in 2009.
He has found new love with Emily MacDonagh, who he married in 2015, with which he has two more children, Amelia, 5, and Theodore, 2.
- MindCould sound healing be the answer to enhancing your wellbeing?
Now To LoveToday 1:30pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan reveals Archie went to playgroup for the first time and ‘he loved it’
Now To LoveToday 11:00am
- Celebrity NewsJennifer Aniston finally joins Instagram and promptly breaks the internet
Now To LoveToday 10:10am
- CareerAll the highlights from the NEXT Woman Of The Year 2019 Awards
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- RoyalsSee unseen footage of Prince Harry adorably cradling Archie in the trailer of an upcoming documentary
Now To LoveYesterday 2:50pm
- BodyThe Mirena and Jaydess contraceptives are finally free for Kiwi women from November
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- FamilyThe hilarious moment Art Green had with his son that every parent will relate to
Now To LoveYesterday 10:51am
- BodyHeavyweight boxing champion Shane Cameron steps up to fight Parkinson's disease
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:35am
- MindSurviving depression: Matt Chisholm's brave decision to quit TV
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine and Prince William receive a royal welcome as they arrive in Pakistan
Now To LoveYesterday 8:15am
- CareerThe latest famous rock star to be a big fan of Jacinda Ardern
Now To LoveOct 14, 2019