She's split from husband Dominic Harvey, left The Edge after 23 years and now, as she prepares to start her new job at More FM, Jay-Jay Feeney (yes, she's gone back to her maiden name) has opened up to Woman's Day about her struggles with depression.
Speaking candidly about her 2016 breakdown for the very first time, the radio diva tells the magazine it was exhaustion from the early starts of her breakfast show that sent her into what she calls "the Great Depression", which saw unable to leave her home for a month.
"I've blocked most of it out of my mind because it was such a horrible time – I've never felt so low in my life," confesses Jay-Jay, adding that she wanted to check herself into hospital but didn't because she was scared it would make the news. "I didn't want anyone around me. I needed to crawl out of this dark cave by myself."
After getting help from her GP and a psychiatrist, Jay-Jay is now looking forward to joining Kiwi icon Jason Gunn on The Jase & Jay-Jay Show on weekday afternoons on More FM from April 23, although the news she'd have to move to Christchurch came as a big shock.
"I'd just bought a new apartment after leaving Dom and fully furnished it," the Auckland-based star tells Woman's Day. "I'd settled in and got a new car, and felt so happy and comfortable, but now I have to uproot my life all over again."
For more on Jay-Jay's struggles with depression, her return to the dating scene and why she'll "never say never" when it comes to reuniting with Dom, see the latest issue of Woman's Day.
If you or someone you know is struggling with depression, call 0800 111 757 or text 4202 to talk to a trained Depression Helpline counsellor for free.
Otherwise, call Lifeline on 0800 543 354, the Suicide Crisis Helpline on 0508 TAUTOKO or Youthline on 0800 376 633.
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019