Yoga instructor Kelly Davies shares her simple guide.
All you need is 10 minutes to kick off your daily practice.
Here are her five simple steps to meditation:
1 Sit upright in a chair, with your feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart and hands resting on your thighs. Close your eyes and slowly take your awareness inside your body down to your feet.
2 Breathe in through your nose and visualise your breath going from the top of your head all the way down to your feet. As you exhale through the nose, imagine your feet grounded and connected to the earth. Repeat for three breaths.
3 Scan your body for any muscular tension or discomfort. Imagine the breath flowing through and release it. Inhale through the nose into your belly, hold for a count of two, then exhale through the nose. Repeat for three breaths.
4 Continue breathing normally. If you notice your mind wandering, just observe the thought, gently let it go and return your attention to your breath.
5 After a few minutes, you can slowly return to awareness of your body and surroundings. Thank yourself for creating the time to practise, breathe and, as you exhale, offer this peaceful feeling to all those around you.
For more, see the August issue of Good Health Choices
- SkincareAll you need to know about retinol and anti-ageing ingredients
Now To LoveMay 06, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Patrick and Belinda: 'Pat will make a great Dad!'
Woman's DayMay 05, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Bryce & Melissa: 'We're getting our own show!'
Woman's DayMay 04, 2021
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021