Yoga instructor Kelly Davies shares her simple guide.
All you need is 10 minutes to kick off your daily practice.
Here are her five simple steps to meditation:
1 Sit upright in a chair, with your feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart and hands resting on your thighs. Close your eyes and slowly take your awareness inside your body down to your feet.
2 Breathe in through your nose and visualise your breath going from the top of your head all the way down to your feet. As you exhale through the nose, imagine your feet grounded and connected to the earth. Repeat for three breaths.
3 Scan your body for any muscular tension or discomfort. Imagine the breath flowing through and release it. Inhale through the nose into your belly, hold for a count of two, then exhale through the nose. Repeat for three breaths.
4 Continue breathing normally. If you notice your mind wandering, just observe the thought, gently let it go and return your attention to your breath.
5 After a few minutes, you can slowly return to awareness of your body and surroundings. Thank yourself for creating the time to practise, breathe and, as you exhale, offer this peaceful feeling to all those around you.
For more, see the August issue of Good Health Choices
- FitnessRunning just once a week lowers your risk of early death - here's how to get started
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMeet Christine Fernyhough - the intrepid Auckland housewife who took on a high country farm and won
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- RelationshipsJay-Jay Feeney dishes on her sizzling summer with her 'toyboy' Minou
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- MindHilary Barry's perfect clap back at a viewer: ‘Enough with the age-shaming’
Now To LoveJan 24, 2020
- Diet & NutritionDiet and ‘detox’ teas have been pulled from New Zealand shelves
Now To LoveJan 23, 2020
- CareerNigella Lawson's new direction at 60: 'I feel so much more open to anything and everything'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJan 23, 2020
- WeddingsIt's love-all for tennis star Michael Venus as he marries the mother of his child
Woman's DayJan 23, 2020