When he was under the lights of a buzzing television studio, Glen Osborne looked every bit the pro-dancer, gliding across the floor in sync with his Dancing with the Stars partner Vanessa Cole.
But away from the glitz and glamour Whanganui's favourite All-Black-turned-cop likes nothing more than to be out in the bush, pig hunting on the back of a horse.
"It's like my personal therapy and I usually go once or twice a week, but in the last three months, I only went once," says the former Maori TV presenter who qualified as a policeman three years ago.
"I spend a few days in the bush by myself with the dogs, otherwise I take a couple of nephews and we hunt in the full moon with the horses."
To say he missed this during his time on the show would be "an understatement".
Once his journey on DWTS ended, Glen was keen to spend his evenings at home with supportive wife Kylee (47) and their daughters Ariaana (23) and Mako (21) – plus, of course, going out hunting again!
"I took my daughters when they were younger and they enjoyed being out with me, going for walks and catching a pig," he recalls. "But then they got to about 14 and preferred the mall. Now they like cruising with Mum and going shopping."
With Vanessa (41) staying in Whanganui during the DWTS season, Glen says he suggested she try out some boar chasing after the competition wraps up.
"Vanessa said a stern no because she doesn't like pig hunting. She likes pork chops though, I think," teases Glen (47), who instead managed to get his dance partner on the back of a trotting horse.
Riding is second nature for the outdoorsy Kiwi, who moved out of Auckland a few years ago after he applied to New Zealand Police in the hopes of returning to country life.
"I was ready to return home and when it was time to choose my base, Whanganui said they'd love to have me," tells the front-line officer, who has taken on a support position while he competes on the Three showcase.
"I really enjoy the front-line and being out in my community, I will definitely go back to it."
Unsurprisingly, Glen has been a bit of a local celebrity since his rugby union days.
"When I get out in the car for work, people point. I get it all the time. Now they say, 'There's Glen from Dancing with the Stars!'"
He's also copped on the chin cheeky comments from his friends on the force, who loved having the chance to have a dig at his risqué dance costumes.
"They're a crack-up," Glen tells. "I always got little texts, especially from one workmate, saying I looked like a Sheila with my see-through shirt on, or that I'm like an old granny when I dance," he laughs.
But on the whole, they've been supportive of Glen doing something new in the name of a good cause.
And it's because of his front-line work with the police that Glen chose Women's Refuge as his DWTS charity.
"In Whanganui, there are a large number of family harm incidents and dealing with that is really sad sometimes. If I can help to get the families sorted, then I'm happy," he tells.
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019