What's cooler than ice, more effective than fake tan and will have your heart pumping faster than a first date? HIIT.
HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is a training technique that alternates between intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of less intense activity or even complete rest. We love it because it uses every muscle group and helps tone your body from head to toe.
You can sweat it out to two HIIT sessions a week in our new health and wellness program KIC. Each session has four five-minute rounds and is made up of different exercises so you'll never get bored.
Here are some of our faves:
The burpee is one exercise with a million benefits. This full body strength training exercise works your arms, chest, quads, glutes, hamstring and abs!
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, weight in your heels, and arms at your sides. Lower into a crouching squat with your hands on the floor, then do a squat thrust by jumping your feet back into a plank position.
Do one basic push-up, bending the elbows and then straightening back to a plank. Jump the feet forward to the hands, and come into a squat. Then do an explosive jump straight up, getting as much height as you can.
2) High knees
If you want to tone your core, quads and butt, you're going to love high knees. Plus, they also help get your heat rate up in a short period of time which is great for burning fat.
To perform a high knee, run on the spot while lifting your knees high to waist level. Engage your abs as the knee comes up. Pump your arms to warm up your upper body – simple, yet very effective.
Some say skipping for 10 minutes is the same as running for 45 minutes – gotta love that!
Skipping is a full body workout which uses your abs for balance, legs for jumping, and shoulders and arms for turning the rope. To start, stand with your feet hip-width apart and bend your elbows to 90° with your arms at your sides.
Drive your right knee and left arm up while exploding upward off your left leg. Land on your left leg and then immediately drive your left knee and right arm up while pushing off your right foot.
With each skip, propel yourself upwards as high as possible while driving the lifted knee towards your chest.
4) Mountain climbers
These can be a killer, but they're an incredible form of cardio. Mountain climbers challenge (and improve) your balance, agility and coordination.
Start in a plank position with your shoulders over your hands and weight in your toes. With your core engaged, bring your right knee forward under your chest, toes just off the ground.
Return to plank and then switch legs, bringing the left knee forward. Keep switching your legs and begin to pick up the pace until it feels a little like running in a plank position.
5) Jump squats
With summer here (which means denim shorts and cute little dresses), jump squats will have you feeling like a beach babe by toning your legs, thighs and hips.
Start in a squat position with your arms by your sides. Swing your arms to the ceiling and jump! Land with soft feet as you return to the squat position.
Steph Claire Smith and Laura Henshaw are the founders of KIC (Keep It Cleaner) health and fitness program.
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's tips for hosting the perfect Christmas dinner
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- FamilyGemma McCaw's Christmas joy: 'Words can't describe how grateful I am'
Woman's DayToday 8:10am
- BodyWhat form of yoga is best for you? Here are six of the most popular
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerThe near-death experience that led Wicken jewellery creator Kim McKay to become a good witch
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- FamilyChristmas with the stars: How Miriama Kamo will be spending the holidays
Woman's DayYesterday 7:55am
- BodyEating soluble fibre more could be a game-changer for those living with asthma
Good Health ChoicesDec 07, 2019
- BodyGemma McCaw's 5 rookie mistakes to avoid when working out
Woman's DayDec 07, 2019
- BodyEarly bird or night owl? What your sleep patterns say about you
The Australian Women's WeeklyDec 07, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals Prince Louis has started talking
Now To LoveDec 06, 2019
- BodyHer sister's keeper: Brave battler Eva Mitchell's unbreakable sibling bond
Woman's DayDec 05, 2019
- MakeupHow to find a foundation that matches your skin perfectly
Now To LoveDec 05, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine shares her family’s secret for picking the best Christmas tree
Now To LoveDec 05, 2019
- CareerChristmas horoscopes: What's in store for you this festive season
The Australian Women's WeeklyDec 05, 2019