What's cooler than ice, more effective than fake tan and will have your heart pumping faster than a first date? HIIT.
HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is a training technique that alternates between intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of less intense activity or even complete rest. We love it because it uses every muscle group and helps tone your body from head to toe.
You can sweat it out to two HIIT sessions a week in our new health and wellness program KIC. Each session has four five-minute rounds and is made up of different exercises so you'll never get bored.
Here are some of our faves:
The burpee is one exercise with a million benefits. This full body strength training exercise works your arms, chest, quads, glutes, hamstring and abs!
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, weight in your heels, and arms at your sides. Lower into a crouching squat with your hands on the floor, then do a squat thrust by jumping your feet back into a plank position.
Do one basic push-up, bending the elbows and then straightening back to a plank. Jump the feet forward to the hands, and come into a squat. Then do an explosive jump straight up, getting as much height as you can.
2) High knees
If you want to tone your core, quads and butt, you're going to love high knees. Plus, they also help get your heat rate up in a short period of time which is great for burning fat.
To perform a high knee, run on the spot while lifting your knees high to waist level. Engage your abs as the knee comes up. Pump your arms to warm up your upper body – simple, yet very effective.
Some say skipping for 10 minutes is the same as running for 45 minutes – gotta love that!
Skipping is a full body workout which uses your abs for balance, legs for jumping, and shoulders and arms for turning the rope. To start, stand with your feet hip-width apart and bend your elbows to 90° with your arms at your sides.
Drive your right knee and left arm up while exploding upward off your left leg. Land on your left leg and then immediately drive your left knee and right arm up while pushing off your right foot.
With each skip, propel yourself upwards as high as possible while driving the lifted knee towards your chest.
4) Mountain climbers
These can be a killer, but they're an incredible form of cardio. Mountain climbers challenge (and improve) your balance, agility and coordination.
Start in a plank position with your shoulders over your hands and weight in your toes. With your core engaged, bring your right knee forward under your chest, toes just off the ground.
Return to plank and then switch legs, bringing the left knee forward. Keep switching your legs and begin to pick up the pace until it feels a little like running in a plank position.
5) Jump squats
With summer here (which means denim shorts and cute little dresses), jump squats will have you feeling like a beach babe by toning your legs, thighs and hips.
Start in a squat position with your arms by your sides. Swing your arms to the ceiling and jump! Land with soft feet as you return to the squat position.
Steph Claire Smith and Laura Henshaw are the founders of KIC (Keep It Cleaner) health and fitness program.
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am