If you’re bored with your regular workouts, mix things up with a good old-fashioned skipping rope.
1. Skipping basics
To find out whether the rope is the right length for you, place one foot in the middle of the rope and lift the handles – they shouldn’t go past your armpits.
When skipping, keep your elbows close to your sides as you turn the rope – the movement should come from your wrists and forearms rather than your shoulders.
Let’s be honest, all that jumping is intense in anyone’s books.
Build up your endurance by dropping the rope at regular intervals, while keeping your arms and legs moving.
Slowly work towards longer stints using the skipping rope.
2 .Cardio kicker
To test your stamina, try to get as many skips in as possible for 30 seconds, rest for 30-90 seconds, then repeat for 5-10 cycles.
This will keep your heart rate pumping, and at the same time you’ll activate your core.
How many reps you do in 30 seconds will depend on your fitness level, but keep it up and you’ll be surprised by how quickly you’ll better your previous score.
3. Calorie burner
Melt through 100 calories in 10 minutes with this fuss-free routine.
Start by jumping with your feet together for 1 minute, followed by 1 minute of freestyle running skip, then 1 minute of star jumps minus the rope.
Pick up the rope again and add some side to side jumps with your feet together for 1 minute, then 60 seconds of single jumps with alternating knee lifts. Repeat a second set.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019