Ahead of the warmer months, Now To Love decided to speak with the incredible Amelia Phillips (fitness and nutrition expert, TV presenter, trainer, blogger and co-founder of Voome), about how we can get into shape for summer.
Surely we can't be the only ones who've indulged in wine and been slack with their fitness routine this past winter!
Here's what Amelia had to say...
There's a group of moves that pack the biggest punch when it comes to changing our body shape. They work multiple body parts at once, help us lose weight, get firmer, fitter and more flexible.
These moves when done in the right sequences are known as metabolic conditioning. Burpees, travelling lunges, towel pulls, clean and presses, and push ups, just to name a few. You'll be puffed with trembling muscles, but it'll be worth it.
Try my beginner workout (below), it includes these exercises - they'll definitely help tone your body for summer!
These exercises are known as compound movements meaning they work multiple muscle groups in one move. This drives up your heart rate and metabolism, burning more calories and training your body to work in a functional, coordinated way.
Why stand in one spot and do an arm curl when you can be working your legs at the exact same time?!
I've got a confession to make... I don't love salads. Shock horror but this nutritionist has had one too many boring salads in her day. Instead I like to mix things up a bit, so right now I'm enjoying creative ways to get my veggies intake up.
At the moment I'm loving anything with a zesty Asian flavour, like Asian chicken patties with warm noodle salad. I've also been making chicken and lettuce 'tacos' which my whole family love. Both recipes are available on Voome.
Summer is the time to get outdoors and get close to nature! Whether its hiking, biking, swimming or horse riding, getting active in nature improves not just your body, but also clears your mind.
Gather up the family or rope in a few friends and go for a Sunday Funday. You'll come home feeling like a new person!
10min AMRAP (As many rounds as possible in ten minutes. Try to beat your score each workout).
Amelia Phillips is a registered nutritionist, exercise scientist, co-founder of Voome (everything you need to live a healthy fit and mindful life). She is a busy mum of four under the age of five and on a mission to empower Australians and Kiwis to live their best life!
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsWhy we’re unlikely to see much of Duchess Catherine and Prince William over the coming month
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- WeddingsA wedding photographer has sparked heated debate after urging wedding guests to put away their phones
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- CareerThe tough Kiwi women who are running organisations that were traditionally 'boys' clubs'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:17am
- FamilyShortland Street's Laurel Devenie introduces her gorgeous new arrival to the world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- Relationships9 common dating mistakes - and how you can avoid making them
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Sophia and Mikaere disqualified after cheating scandal
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- FamilyRobbie Magasiva opens up about the devastating loss of his beloved brother Pua
Woman's DayJul 15, 2019