Now that it's warmer, water sports such as kayaking, surfing, water skiing, sailing and stand-up paddleboarding are fun ways to get fit. Take lessons, borrow or rent gear and give it a go.
All these activities burn an average of 300-900 calories an hour and are a lot more fun than being stuck in a gym. Kayaking, for example, gets your heart rate up, abs working and muscles burning.
Kids are itching to find the nearest place to scale the walls, hang from the monkey bars and go on the swings. If you know any little people, scout out some local playgrounds and take them with you.
There are also a number of playgrounds and parks that have exercise equipment for adults. For the more curious, there are a plethora of trampoline parks, high ropes and obstacle courses, providing thrills, laughs and adventure while building confidence and improving agility, balance and strength.
Kick-start your activity levels with adventure sports such as caving, canyoning, rock climbing or mountain biking. Canyoning combines abseiling, cliff jumping, swimming, sliding and climbing. Book a trip with the pros and if you get a taste for it, join the NZ Canyoning Association.
Closer to home, dust off your bike, grab a buddy and head to a mountain-bike track near you. You'll be surprised how much you sweat
Climb the nearest mountain and drink in the views. Many towns in New Zealand boast fantastic volcanic landscapes.
Or investigate some DOC (Department of Conservation) short walks near you.
Try hiking, geo-caching (real-life treasure hunting), orienteering or walking with a challenge – some of the best exercise I have had has been when bus routes have failed!
The next time someone invites you for coffee, make it to-go (using BYO cups or a Thermos, of course) and walk or stroll up the hill and chat.
Got a meeting? Bring a frisbee or ball to toss as you pass ideas back and forth. Whoever you're with, suggest something active to do while you spend time together.
When your mind and spirit are fuelled by stunning views, great conversation and feeling the fresh air on your face, you don't seem to notice that your muscles are working hard.
Activity can be fun – immerse yourself and you'll completely forget that you are exercising!
To read more, pick up a copy of the latest Nadia magazine - out now.
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveToday 2:28pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 1:00pm
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 11:00am
- WeddingsArt Green and Matilda Rice marry in a stunning Waiheke wedding - and announce they're expecting a baby!
Now To LoveYesterday 10:10am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019