Starting a new exercise programme or trying a new class at the gym can be a great way to boost your interest and motivation, until that is, you wake up the next day and can hardly move, let alone do another workout!
Thankfully, there are a few things you can do after a strenuous sweat session to boost your recovery and reduce muscle soreness.
Take 5-10 minutes to do some dynamic stretches and light movement such as jogging on the spot, star jumps, arm circles or torso twists to get the blood flowing.
Limbering up prepares your body, helps to prevent any strains or muscle pulls during your workout, and reduces soreness after your workout.
Remember to sip on water before, during and after exercise.
Staying hydrated helps to decrease inflammation and reduce muscle cramps, and it's also important to replace all the water lost through sweat.
Eating a protein-rich meal after exercise isn't going to get rid of muscle soreness, but it can cut down your recovery time by helping your muscles to recover faster.
If you can't have a proper meal, try to at least have a substantial snack.
Pineapple and turmeric are both loaded with anti-inflammatory properties.
Incorporating these brightly coloured foods into your diet can help to speed up recovery.
Understandably, when our muscles hurt, moving is often the last thing we feel like doing, but light movement can do wonders to ease aches while muscles rebuild and repair.
Try heading out for a gentle walk, bike ride or some yoga.
Whether you have a foam roller or a massage therapist, massage has been found to alleviate muscle soreness and improve performance.
If you're new to foam rolling or a new part of your body is sore, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for targeting different areas of the body.
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021