Starting a new exercise programme or trying a new class at the gym can be a great way to boost your interest and motivation, until that is, you wake up the next day and can hardly move, let alone do another workout!
Thankfully, there are a few things you can do after a strenuous sweat session to boost your recovery and reduce muscle soreness.
Take 5-10 minutes to do some dynamic stretches and light movement such as jogging on the spot, star jumps, arm circles or torso twists to get the blood flowing.
Limbering up prepares your body, helps to prevent any strains or muscle pulls during your workout, and reduces soreness after your workout.
Remember to sip on water before, during and after exercise.
Staying hydrated helps to decrease inflammation and reduce muscle cramps, and it's also important to replace all the water lost through sweat.
Eating a protein-rich meal after exercise isn't going to get rid of muscle soreness, but it can cut down your recovery time by helping your muscles to recover faster.
If you can't have a proper meal, try to at least have a substantial snack.
Pineapple and turmeric are both loaded with anti-inflammatory properties.
Incorporating these brightly coloured foods into your diet can help to speed up recovery.
Understandably, when our muscles hurt, moving is often the last thing we feel like doing, but light movement can do wonders to ease aches while muscles rebuild and repair.
Try heading out for a gentle walk, bike ride or some yoga.
Whether you have a foam roller or a massage therapist, massage has been found to alleviate muscle soreness and improve performance.
If you're new to foam rolling or a new part of your body is sore, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for targeting different areas of the body.
- TVAngela Bloomfield's rocky ride on Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayOct 13, 2021
- TVJess Tyson's secret weapon to win Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayOct 09, 2021
- At homeWe love this family home which has a resort-style feel
Now To LoveOct 07, 2021
- Diet & NutritionWhy drinking a cup of tea is a simple and effective step in self-care
Now To LoveOct 04, 2021
- At homeTips for creating a stylish and comfortable outdoor entertaining space
Woman's DaySep 27, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island JJ Fong's personal heartache
Woman's DaySep 26, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island's Edna Swart reveals her battle with self-confidence
Woman's DaySep 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsRyan Bridge opens up about landing his dream job as the new host of The AM Show
New Zealand Woman's WeeklySep 25, 2021