Fluffy milk rolls
Preparation & cooking: 1 hour
- 2½ cups high-grade flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
2. DOUGH. Combine flour, sugar,
salt and yeast in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook (or a bread machine). Mix at low speed and add the starter mixture. The dough will appear very sticky at first, but don't add more flour. Increase speed and continue kneading for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth, elastic and springy.
3. With oiled hands, shape the dough into a ball and transfer to a lightly greased large bowl. Cover and microwave on low for 1 minute. Rest dough for 10 minutes, then repeat. When the dough has doubled in size, divide into 9 even portions (see tip). Form into rolls and arrange in a greased 22cm square pan. Leave to rise for 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 190°C.
5. GLAZE. Whisk egg and milk together, then gently brush glaze over the rolls when risen. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then gently turn out onto a cooling rack.
Secret centre raspberry muffins
Preparation & cooking: 30 minutes
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 cup a2 Milk™ by Anchor™
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup crushed freeze-dried raspberries to decorate (optional)
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, spice and zest. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, milk and egg. Fold liquids into dry ingredients until just mixed. Spoon ¾ of the mixture into the patty cases and reserve the remaining batter.
3. Using a teaspoon, place a blob of jam in the middle of each muffin, then fill cases with remaining batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until risen and springy. Cool.
4. In a small bowl, mix icing sugar and vanilla with just enough lemon juice to form a spreadable consistency. Spread each muffin with icing and sprinkle with crushed freeze-dried raspberries if desired.
Preparation & cooking: 10 minutes (plus cooling & freezing)
2. Transfer mixture to a saucepan and heat gently, stirring continuously until thickened. Do not boil. Remove from heat and whisk, then set aside until almost cooled.
3. Whisk in the remaining milk and peppermint essence to taste. Add green food colouring and stir to combine. Pour into popsicle moulds, insert sticks and freeze until set.
Hot milk cupcakes
Preparation & cooking: 45 minutes (plus cooling)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 slightly heaped cup plain flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
¾ cup a2 Milk™ by Anchor™
75g butter, cubed
110g soft butter
3 cups icing sugar
2 tablespoons a2 Milk™ by Anchor™
¼ cup strawberry sundae syrup
pink food colouring
100s and 1000s to decorate (optional)
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and pale. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla.
3. Combine flour and baking powder, then gradually add to batter, beating at low speed until smooth.
4. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until just melted. Gradually add to batter, beating until just combined. Divide the mixture into the prepared panand bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
5. STRAWBERRY FROSTING. Beat butter until pale, then add the icing sugar in 2 or 3 increments, beating well after each addition. Beat until light and fluffy, adding a dash of milk if needed. Mix in the strawberry sundae syrup and a drop of food colouring. Transfer icing to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle, then pipe rosettes onto the tops of each cupcake. Sprinkle with 100s and 1000s if desired.
Banana thickshake with coconut crumb
Preparation: 5 minutes
½ teaspoon honey
1 frozen banana, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup a2 Milk™ by Anchor™ wafer biscuits or straws (optional)
2. Place banana and milk in a blender and pulse to combine, then pour into the prepared glass. Add a wafer biscuit or straw if desired.