We all know eating well is beneficial for our bodies - both mentally and physically - but if you've done a grocery shop as of late, you'll know that choosing healthy foods is no longer the simple task it was ten years ago.
Deciphering which healthy foods are worth our hard-earned money and will offer maximum benefits has become increasingly complicated; the world of wellness is no longer simple and straightforward - beetroot lattes and pea milk are now health 'superfoods' to be enjoyed after all!
So Now To Love decided to take a step back from the superfoods, and asked accredited practising dietitian Lisa Donaldson and nutritionist Amelia Phillips (both from Voome) what they eat when they want a healthy snack or nourishing meal.
Lisa: Vegetables! All the colours of the rainbow. If we can add vegetables to every meal or snack, what a healthy world we would have!
Spinach and tomato with our eggs at breakfast, a leafy salad at lunch, veggie sticks with hummus to snack on and a massive vegetable packed stir-fry at dinnertime!
It doesn't need to be tricky and if you buy seasonally it will be good for the wallet too.
Lisa: I opt for snacks that have a veggie base or include some healthy fats or protein.
A hard boiled egg, some veggie sticks with hummus, avocado on a corn thin, popped corn, apple wedges with some nut butter spread or some berries with some natural yoghurt.
Amelia: Sip rooibos iced tea. I'm a huge herbal tea fan. It's packed with antioxidants, helps hydrate us, and prevents mindless snacking.
Rooibos tea is naturally caffeine-free yet tastes similar to black tea.
While it's delicious hot (with or without milk) in summer, I have it in my water bottle as an iced tea.
Some days I add sliced lemon, other days I sprinkle xylitol (natural sugar-free sweetener) and add fresh or frozen raspberries.
Amelia: I like to mix things up a bit, so right now I'm enjoying creative ways to get my veggies intake up.
At the moment I'm loving anything with a zesty Asian flavour, like these Asian chicken patties with warm noodle salad.
I've also been making Chicken and Lettuce 'tacos' which my whole family love.
Amelia Phillips is a registered nutritionist, exercise scientist, co founder of Voome (everything you need to live a healthy fit and mindful life). She is a busy Mum of four under the age of five and on a mission to empower Australians and Kiwis to live their best life! Lisa is an Accredited Practising Dietitian who also has a background in education and fitness. She is a spokesperson for the Dietitians Association of Australia and is the Lead Dietitian for Voome.
You can check out their Voome programs online.
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Stacy and Adam's biggest challenge
Woman's DayToday 11:39am
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson brings to light one of the royal family's saddest tales from the past
Now To LoveToday 11:39am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan reveals how she made her royal wedding to Prince Harry feel ‘intimate’
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Food & DrinksCassidy in the Kitchen: Bravo NZ host Cassidy Morris's easy peanut butter cups
Now To LoveToday 8:47am
- RelationshipsDWTS judge Camilla Sacre-Dallerup's romantic Queenstown escape with her husband
Woman's DayToday 8:35am
- MindWestside's Antonia Prebble talks motherhood, career and how she nurtures her mind, body and soul
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- BodyHow to best take care of your skin in cold winter weather
Now To LoveToday 7:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe intrepid Kiwi couple in their sixties who trekked 700km across Jordan
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- FitnessFeeling sore after you workout? Try adding these 6 steps to your exercise routine
Good Health ChoicesJun 22, 2019
- CareerKanoa Lloyd on what compels her to speak up for others
NEXTJun 22, 2019
- FamilyClarke Gayford reveals Neve received a birthday present from Prince William!
Now To LoveJun 21, 2019