New research from the State University of New York suggests that craving chocolate before or during your period might be down to savvy advertising more than scientific facts, The Metro reported.
While hormone fluctuations during the menstrual cycle do cause changes in energy levels, mood and hunger, the idea of craving chocolate specifically may well be just be folklore.
The State University of New York came to this conclusion by comparing the PMS symptoms of 275 women from different countries around the world.
They found that nearly 50% of American women craved chocolate before their period, but when it came first-generation immigrants living in the US it was only 17%.
Similarly, 90% of American women craved chocolate in general (not just prior or during their period), whereas in Egypt it was only 6% and in Spain it was 28%.
It seems that in general women who lived in Western countries or have been 'Westernised' are more likely to experience chocolate cravings. The researchers also identified that the more a woman was exposed to American TV and magazines (where chocolate adverts would be regularly found), the more likely they were to crave the sweet stuff.
This therefore supports the idea that it is actually advertising and social conditioning that has led us to demolish the Dairy Milk not our hormones. Not that that will stop us anytime soon...
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's first appearance after her maternity leave has been revealed
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- Married at First SightDevastating news as MAFS' Nic reveals his cancer has returned
Now To LoveToday 11:28am
- FamilyGemma McCaw on the importance of being a role model for your children
Woman's DayToday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Tamara and Mick get cosy off screen
Now To LoveToday 8:33am
- Mind4 reasons why embracing boredom could change your life for the better
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:30am
- Diet & Nutrition'I Quit Sugar' author Sarah Wilson talks diet, anxiety and going back-to-basics
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- BodyHow this woman came up with a way to help women struggling with PCOS take control
Good Health ChoicesToday 7:45am
- BodyHow to understand your body clock for the best quality sleep
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerThe modern nun: meet the enterprising Carmelite nuns of Melbourne who run their own beauty product business
The Australian Women's WeeklyMar 23, 2019
- FamilyThe mindfulness coach changing Kiwi kids' lives by teaching them how to meditate
The Australian Women's WeeklyMar 22, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan’s former co-star reveals what she’s really like in real life
Now To LoveMar 22, 2019