As a child of the 80s, I grew up with parents who feared fat. Remember the pointy part of the food pyramid – 'Eat Least' – and how it was all oils and fats? Well, just like when it comes to blue eyeshadow, perms and The Bangles, we now know more than we did back them.
There's a reason why almond butter, avocado and salmon have become must-have ingredients for everyone's kitchen, and that's because healthy fats have worked their way down the food pyramid into great every day choices.
And look, there's a lot I can tell you about the benefits of good fats: the omegas, the fatty acids. That they will support your joint mobility and heart health.
That they can support your brain health and balanced mood. That they would support healthy cholesterol and help keep your joints healthy, helping you stay mobile.
But there's a pretty great vanity reason as well, and as a woman with a face, I know the sentence to work with here: including fatty acids in your diet will hydrate your skin from the inside and up your glow factor.
It's particularly useful as we get to the colder months of the year – where chilly outdoor temperatures and heated-up interiors suck the moisture from your face. And if the side effects to having a youthful face and hydrated skin happen to be clearer thinking, a better mood, a more mobile body and a healthier heart? Well, that's a price we're willing to pay.
1. Eat Mediterranean
There are a multitude of different types of diets these days but the Mediterranean way of eating is consistently a good idea: fresh fruits and vegetables, wholegrains, nuts, lean meat, lots of fish and lots of extra virgin olive oil.
2. Include more oil in your cooking
Add to your pantry with a whole host of oils: flaxseed oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and include them as dressings for your vegetables with every serving.
3. Eat more fish
Two servings of oily fish a week will top up your omega 3 levels; aim for salmon, trout, sardines and shellfish. Wild fish tend to have more health benefits than farmed fish.
4. GO Fish Oil 2000mg
For an easy once a day option, GO FISH OIL 2000mg packs a punch of high potency fish oil sourced from deep sea wild fish. Carefully tested to ensure oil quality, you get all the benefits of wild fish but no rod necessary!
Proudly Made by GO Healthy in New Zealand From Select Imported Ingredients. Always read the label and use as directed. If symptoms persist see your healthcare professional. GO Healthy, Wellington. Available exclusively in pharmacies and health stores.
- RoyalsWhen and where will Baby Archie’s christening take place? Here are all the details
Now To LoveToday 4:45pm
- TVThe moving reason behind Dancing With The Stars winner Manu Vatuvei's vow to keep dancing
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- TVFormer DWTS dancer Carol-Ann Hanna gives her verdict on the final show and Manu's win
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionHow this Auckland woman lost 30kg through hypnosis
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- FertilityConsidering freezing your eggs? Here's everything you need to know
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilySamantha Hayes shares her heartache after visiting a refugee camp in Jordan
- BodyRotorua parents' heartbreak: only a miracle will save their little boy
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerJulie Anne Genter on bicycles, babies and what's going to make a better world
The Australian Women's WeeklyJun 15, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS' Mick Gould has posed naked in the name of rural mental health
Now To LoveJun 14, 2019