Making healthy choices at the supermarket is easy if you're in the fresh produce section, but once you get into the aisles, it can be hard to know what's the most nourishing option to put in your trolley.
To make sense of packaging, here are some helpful tips:
The first ingredients listed tend to be the ones that make up the majority of the product.
Seeing sugar high on the list would be expected for a bag of lollies or a cake, but you might be surprised at how often sugar is one of the top three ingredients for items like sauces, breads and dairy products.
If you think about an apple, what would the ingredients list be? Apple!
Any time you pick up a packet and find that the ingredients list is extremely long, that's usually a good indicator it has been highly processed and is full of additives and chemicals.
Even foods packed with vegetables and legumes, like soup or hummus, can include artificial colours, sweeteners and preservatives.
If you're trying to reduce your intake of processed foods and spot an ingredient you don't know or can't pronounce, go for another option.
As healthy eating has become more popular, there has been a rise in packaging featuring words like nutritious, natural, wholefood and healthy.
Because there's no clear definition of what these labels mean, it's always best to double check the ingredients list to ensure a food really is going to be good for you.
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021