Around 90% of your happiness hormones are found in your gut. Serotonin plays a big role in your moods, memories and sleep patterns.
The gut is known as the second brain and if we feed it with processed food, it can leave you feeling more fatigued and depressed.
When you are tired or stressed, reaching for highly processed foods won't serve your body or brain well. Growing research indicates that making changes to what you eat can have a major impact on your mood and improve symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Try some of these mood-boosting foods to feel good and function well.
Spinach is a superhero of leafy green vegetables. Aside from iron, it is also high in fibre and magnesium, which are linked to your mood. Some research suggests that magnesium deficiency can be linked to stress, anxiety and depression, so add a handful of spinach to your lunch, dinner or green smoothie and reap the rewards!
Berries are packed with antioxidants, which are essential for brain health. They're also high in fibre, which aids digestion, another key area that impacts your overall health and wellbeing.
Almonds are packed with nutrients and have been known to help mental health. This superfood is high in tyrosine, which is essential for the production of dopamine, the chemical responsible for reward and pleasure centres in the brain. Raw almonds are great as a snack and almond meal can be used as a wheat-free flour substitute.
Bananas are one of life's good foods as the contain tryptophan, a protein that the body converts into serotonin. This helps you relax, boosts your mood and makes you feel happier.
It's good news for chocolate lovers! Eating dark chocolate containing at least 70% cocoa can help ward off depression as the chemicals in chocolate release serotonin. Make sure you limit yourself to a couple of squares, though, as it's also high in calories!
Salmon is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which boost energy, enhance circulation, reduce inflammation and maintain heart health.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019