If you think summer is a tricky time to eat healthy (with all the ice-cream, icy poles and barbecues going around, we don't blame you!), you'd be mistaken.
The warmer months are the perfect opportunity to overhaul your dietary habits and put into place some healthy new habits - we're talking a diet full of healthy fruits, nutritious veggies and lots and lots of water.
Okay, we may not have sold you on healthy eating during summer just yet (it's a little tricky for a fruit kebab to compete with pavlova and truffle, we'll admit), but that's why we've spoken to health and fitness expert, founder of Fitness In The City and Voome's 'Healthy on a Budget' four week program instructor, Lee Sutherland.
Lee is an expert on all-things health and fitness, so we picked her brain about delicious healthy, summer meals, the vitamins and nutrients we need to function optimally and how we can eat healthy when in vacation mode.
How lucky are we that Christmas falls across summer for us here in New Zealand?
There's so many amazing fruits and veggies in season to take advantage of, and eating lighter, fresher foods is that much easier, and often more pleasant, due to the warm weather.
Our go-to healthy dishes include:
Eating seasonal is a New Year's resolution we can all keep in 2019! Summer in particular spoils us with an amazing variety to use not only in our Christmas dishes, but in the days between as well.
Shopping from the markets is a good way to ensure it's in season.
The following foods are plentiful during summer:
While it can be easy for your eating habits to also take a vacation over the holiday break, its all about the 80/20 rule.
A majority of the time try and eat like an adult (yes, lose the candy guys!) and continue to eat fresh wholefoods. By that I mean balance your plate with good carbs like rice, sweet potato etc, proteins and good fats then when you indulge the other 20 per cent of the time, it won't affect you as much.
But keep in mind, alcohol falls into that 20 per cent so don't go crazy there either!
Summer is generally when everyone takes time off work, and often when sneaky illness creep up on us!
To make sure your immune system doesn't shut down as well, look at investing in an immune boosting supplement which includes zinc, garlic, vitamin C and herbs like Echinacea, Astragalus, Golden Seal.
Chlorophyll or a type of 'green drink' to drink daily will help improve circulation and keep tissues free of toxic substances. Lastly, a vitamin B complex with activate enzymes to support healing and recover from those boozy lunches!
Lee Sutherland is a Health / Fitness Expert and Director of Fitness In The City (Personal Training, Certified Health Coach and blogger on all things health, nutrition and fitness). She recently teamed up with Voome to create her Healthy on a Budget 4 week program.
- FamilyReal Housewives of Auckland's Anne Batley-Burton on the sad secret to her business success
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- MindJo Seagar on the importance of talking about death
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- FamilyThese inspiring people are our individual 'Grandparent of the year' winners
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 4:00pm
- RoyalsAnother royal wedding: All the details from Lady Gabriella Windsor’s gorgeous nuptials
Now To LoveToday 1:20pm
- TVNadia Lim admits Dancing With The Stars is 'the biggest challenge I've ever taken on'
Woman's DayToday 1:00pm
- PetsMeet NZ's most lovable rescue pet: Tinkerbelle 'the wobble dog'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 7:45am
- CareerAlexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the band of women shaking up America
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- RoyalsHappy 1st wedding anniversary Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan! A timeline of their beautiful love story
Now To LoveYesterday 10:00am
- FamilyDancing with the Stars judge Rachel White on why NZ has a special place in her heart
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- FamilyDear Thomasin and Davida: Miranda Harcourt's open letter to her daughters
The Australian Women's WeeklyMay 18, 2019
- MindThree women share their inspiring journeys towards empowerment, self-healing and learning to forgive
Good Health ChoicesMay 18, 2019
- FertilityAfter $70,000 spent on IVF Sharee Welch can finally hold her miracle twins
Woman's DayMay 18, 2019