Serves 5-6 as a main and 15 as a side dish
Prep and cook time 1 hour
- 500g green or black lentils
- 50g butter
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 350g finely diced root vegetables (try carrot, celery and celeriac)
- 100g shallots, diced
- 2 rashers bacon, chopped (optional)
- 50ml red wine
- 100ml port
- 1½-2 litres chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, ½ tsp white peppercorns and ½ tsp whole allspice wrapped and tied in muslin)
- Raspberry (or orange) vinegar, to taste
- A little knob of butter
- Soak lentils overnight in cold water (no salt). Discard this water.
- Heat butter and oil and sweat off root vegetables, shallots and bacon for 2-3 minutes. Add lentils and cook on low for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add wine and port and reduce until pan is almost dry. Add 1½ litres of stock and the bouquet garni and cook on low for 30-40 minutes, adding more stock as needed.
- When soft, blitz slightly with stick blender but leave some lentils whole for texture.
- Add vinegar, season, then add a little butter to make the mix extra creamy.
Photos: Getty Images