Many of us struggle with drifting off, especially with the stressful, technology driven lives we lead these days.
But according to new research, the key to getting yourself to sleep is lies in how much light you’re exposing yourself to before bed.
The University of British Columbia conducted a study where individuals wore sunglasses for two hours before they were due to go to bed.
Glenn Landry explained to CBC News that by avoiding light at the end of the day, biological messages were getting through to their bodies that it would soon be time to switch off.
“We have artificial sources of light available to us 24 hours a day,” the research fellow explained.
“We’ve got our laptops with us, and we’re doing email and we’re watching TV late at night. And so we’re getting light at night [which] impacts our circadian rhythms, our daily biological rhythms.”
So if you’re checking your Facebook before bed, or having a Netflix binge right until you switch off, you could be interfering with your body’s natural wind down period.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019