How well are you sleeping at night? We all know that taking measures like limiting caffeine, turning off screens an hour before bed and following a regular bedtime routine promote great sleep.
But how comfortable is your mattress? Is it time for you to invest in a new one?
The average mattress has a life span of around 10-15 years but many of us hold on to our mattresses for longer because of our dread of the mattress-buying experience (traipsing around bed show rooms lying on beds in the presence of perfect strangers!), and the expense.
In other parts of the world such as the US, you can order mattresses online and have them delivered straight to your door - and now that option is available in New Zealand, thanks to new company, Winkl.
With Winkl you can order an affordable, quality memory foam mattress in one of two thicknesses - standard or lux - online and have it delivered straight to your home.
Winkl offers a same-day delivery service, and the Winkl mattress is unique because it arrives as a roll in a box. Simply unfurl onto your bed base then watch it expand.
Winkl's tagline is 'your best night's sleep is just a click away' and after trialling their standard mattress in my home I can report that I have enjoyed some of my best nights' sleep.
When it arrived I found that carrying the mattress up the steps and into my house is still a two-person job, but the ease of lifting a 35kg oblong box, rather than the full bulk of a queen-sized mattress, did not escape me. The box also had wheels so we could literally roll it down my hallway. And then it was simply a matter of opening the box, lifting the roll up onto my bed and unfurling.
The mattress takes 48 hours to fully expand.
My first night on my new Winkl saw me sleep very soundly and, several nights in now, I have noticed that I'm waking up each morning feeling well rested.
I haven't slept on a memory foam mattress before, but as someone who has begun in recent months to experience lower back pain, there are clear benefits.
Memory foam is highly energy-absorbent and soft.
It moulds to the body in response to heat and pressure, which means your body weight is evenly distributed, relieving painful pressure points.
Consumers often believe that firm mattresses are best for back issues, but more "giving" mattresses like memory foam ones can lead to better sleep in people with back pain, the National Sleep Foundation has claimed.
Unlike spring mattresses, memory foam mattresses miminise partner disturbance and return to their original shape. I can attest to both, having witnessed my kids roll all over it, take turns diving on it and even nap together when no one would budge on getting off.
They all proclaim the Winkl to be comfier than their own beds, and want one too.
As any family will know, replacing mattresses for each family member can be costly, but Winkl mattresses are priced to be affordable for families. The standard 25cm Winkl starts at $850; the luxury 30cm Winkl is priced from $1500.
They're also a great option for anyone starting out on their own. Next year my oldest daughter is leaving home to attend university in another city and a Winkl is an affordable perfect choice for her first bed in her first home away from home.
For those who still prefer to try before they buy, the beauty of the Winkl is you get to try it in the comfort of your own home. All Winkl mattresses come with a 120-day trial period, so if you're not completely satisfied you can return it for a full refund. All returned mattresses are collected from your home and donated to the Salvation Army.
I won't be returning mine though - you could call me a Winkl convert.
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020