If you keep your potatoes in the fridge, you might want to take them out…right this very second.
According to the UK's Foods Standards Agency, potatoes are the most important food to keep out of the fridge.
"When these are stored in the fridge, the starch in the potato is converted to sugar,” it states on their website.
“When baked or fried, these sugars combine with the amino acid asparagine and produce the chemical acrylamide, which is thought to be harmful."
Acrylamide is a chemical used in industrial processes, such as the production of paper and plastics and has also been linked with cancer.
The chemical has also been found in chips and French fries.
However, don’t think you need to avoid potatoes for good.
The FSA says, “We recommend that, when making chips at home, they are cooked to a light golden colour. Manufacturers' instructions for frying or oven-heating foods should be followed carefully."
Just be sure to keep your tatters in a cool, dry place – just NOT the fridge.
You might also like: Dog teaches itself to drink water out of the fridge
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019