Winter is undoubtedly the least desired of the four seasons – chilly, damp and sunless days see us bid farewell to our social lives and sun-kissed glow. We seek solace from the cold with a cup of tea in front of the fire but so often we overlook the merits of a warm bath.
While scheduling time for a soak in the tub may rate low in your priorities, the rewards are many – it may even get rid of your winter blues!
A bath forces us to take time out away from external influences that trigger and fuel stress levels. Busy women are often guilty of disregarding the importance of ‘me time’, instead putting others’ needs before their own. However, to be the best for others we sometimes need to put ourselves first.
A solo soak as short as 15 minutes helps to calm the nervous system, doing wonders for stress levels, anxiety and overall mood.
Studies have found taking a bath is a natural way to induce sleep, and not only because it’s good for the soul. Unwinding in a warm bath gradually increases your body’s temperature, which then rapidly decreases once you are out.
This sudden drop signals to your body to start producing melatonin, a hormone that triggers sleepiness. We recommend opting for a eucalyptus or lavender-based bath soak to further promote a good night’s sleep.
One of the more well-known benefits of a hot bath is its ability to significantly speed up muscle recovery. Immersing achy muscles in warm water works similarly to a heat pack, where applying heat to the inflamed area will help tight and tired muscles to relax.
Athletes have been known to add a cup or two of Epsom salts into a bath after an intensive workout for added muscle relief.
Been struck by a case of the ills and chills? Dip into a warm bath to help relieve your symptoms! The steam from your bath will open and clear the nasal passages, reducing congestion, headaches and hopefully your cold-induced misery.
Research has also shown that an elevated temperature can help to boost immune system functionality, helping fight off infections quicker.
- TVAngela Bloomfield's rocky ride on Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayOct 13, 2021
- TVJess Tyson's secret weapon to win Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayOct 09, 2021
- At homeWe love this family home which has a resort-style feel
Now To LoveOct 07, 2021
- Diet & NutritionWhy drinking a cup of tea is a simple and effective step in self-care
Now To LoveOct 04, 2021
- At homeTips for creating a stylish and comfortable outdoor entertaining space
Woman's DaySep 27, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island JJ Fong's personal heartache
Woman's DaySep 26, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island's Edna Swart reveals her battle with self-confidence
Woman's DaySep 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsRyan Bridge opens up about landing his dream job as the new host of The AM Show
New Zealand Woman's WeeklySep 25, 2021