Simon Barnett has given an update this morning on his wife's Jodi's treatment for a malignant brain tumor.
He spoke to his More FM colleagues and listeners from his home studio in Christchurch, telling them that Jodi is "responding really well" two weeks into radiation therapy.
"We're doing really well...Jodi's started her treatment so we're two weeks into that and seems to be responding really well so we're just enormously grateful...to everybody for the love and cards and prayers."
Jodi is scheduled to have radiation treatment every day for six weeks. She will then undergo a six month course of chemotherapy.
Simon last shared an update on Jodi's progress three and a half weeks ago. He broke down while talking to his More FM colleagues and listeners about the ordeal the family had been through.
Jodi was rushed to hospital in Christchurch on the morning of April 29th after suffering a "substantial seizure" out of the blue. Scans revealed she had two tumours. She underwent surgery to remove the lesion and the couple were told "it couldn't have gone better."
"We were very hopeful that it was going to be benign," Simon told listeners. But their worst fears were confirmed when it turned out to be malignant.
"Everybody says it...nothing seems to matter when you're confronted with life and death...I can tell you now from first hand experience...not any single material possession that you care to name matters one single jot when you face losing someone."
Watch: Simon's emotional update on wife Jodi's battle with brain cancer. Story continues after video.
Simon has been on extended leave since Jodi's seizure. He had originally planned to be back on air on June 5th but his return has been delayed so he can support her through her radiation treatment.
Simon and Jodi have been married for 25 years and have four daughters.
Simon has been with More FM for more than 20 years. It was announced last year that he is due to leave the station in 2019 and take up a position at Newstalk ZB.
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am