The health benefits of saunas have long been overshadowed by the simple pleasure and relaxation that these heated rooms bring to people. But researchers just released a new report about sauna health benefits, and it turns out that this steam oasis may be even better for us than we ever imagined.
We think this is a perfect excuse to head over to a spa or gym with a sauna immediately — and after reading about all the exciting findings, you probably will, too!
The August 2018 report published in Mayo Clinic Proceedings found that frequent sauna bathing is linked to a reduced risk of several health problems, including high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, neurocognitive diseases, pulmonary diseases, and mental health disorders.
Sauna bathing also helped to reduce other health conditions, such as skin diseases, arthritis, headache, and flu.
On top of all that, the report also suggests that regular sauna baths are linked to a better health-related quality of life overall.
The research team focused on the effects of Finnish sauna baths on health outcomes, defining Finnish sauna bathing as the exposure to a high environmental temperature for a brief period of time.
Researchers conducted a comprehensive literature review, finding that all these incredible health benefits of saunas were linked to the effects that the rooms had on circulatory, respiratory, cardiovascular, and immune functions.
Anyone who's ever been to the sauna knows how happy you feel inside afterward, so we can't say we're totally surprised by this — it just means we have all the more reason to feel happier.
Even more exciting? The researchers also found that the physiological responses from a sauna bath matched almost exactly with those produced by moderate-intensity or even high-intensity physical activity.
So maybe if you need a little boost and your regular daily walk doesn't seem to be doing the trick, it might be worth your time to pop into the sauna instead.
We're excited to turn up the heat!
Via our sister site First For Women.
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019