Put down those weights and pick up a wine glass! If you love drinking red wine you're in luck - research suggests it could be just as good for you as a gym session.
A study by the University of Alberta in Canada has found that the health benefits from resveratrol, a compound found in red wine, are akin to those gained from exercise. This means a glass of the red stuff can give you improved physical performance, better heart function and increased muscle strength.
The study's lead researcher, Jason Dyck, says the findings could prove life-changing for people who aren't able to exercise.
"I think resveratrol could help patient populations who want to exercise but are physically incapable," Jason Dyck tells Huffington Post. "Resveratrol could mimic exercise for them or improve the benefits of the modest amount of exercise that they can do."
This isn't the first time red wine has been in the news for its health benefits. Other studies have linked the tipple to reducing the likelihood of developing heart disease, cancer and dementia. It has also been proven to have anti-ageing properties and regulate blood sugar.
Bottoms up, we say!
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:42am