Put down those weights and pick up a wine glass! If you love drinking red wine you're in luck - research suggests it could be just as good for you as a gym session.
A study by the University of Alberta in Canada has found that the health benefits from resveratrol, a compound found in red wine, are akin to those gained from exercise. This means a glass of the red stuff can give you improved physical performance, better heart function and increased muscle strength.
The study's lead researcher, Jason Dyck, says the findings could prove life-changing for people who aren't able to exercise.
"I think resveratrol could help patient populations who want to exercise but are physically incapable," Jason Dyck tells Huffington Post. "Resveratrol could mimic exercise for them or improve the benefits of the modest amount of exercise that they can do."
This isn't the first time red wine has been in the news for its health benefits. Other studies have linked the tipple to reducing the likelihood of developing heart disease, cancer and dementia. It has also been proven to have anti-ageing properties and regulate blood sugar.
Bottoms up, we say!
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am