Never one to shy away from talking about her 30-year-long weightloss journey, Oprah Winfrey’s recent admission illustrates how her weight ultimately impacted her mental health.
Candidly speaking to Good Housekeeping, the 63-year-old says the shame she felt when she was overweight was crippling, and that being overweight felt like a disability.
“I never ever felt a lack of confidence – I felt shame about not being able to conquer what I felt was a disability that I should have been able to control,” she says.
And while Oprah lived out an illustrious career in front of the camera for three decades, she explains the battle she had with her weight is the same as what people across the world experience every day.
WATCH: Oprah in New Zealand. Story continues after video
“My shame was no different than a mother having to show up at a wedding for her daughter or son and wishing she had lost weight and wasn’t in a [US] size 16 but was in a size 12,” she continues.
“[My weight] has been the go-to comfort for me.
“You use it as your coat and your shield, and it keeps you from doing things.
“You don’t have to go to that party because you don’t have a dress to wear and nothing is going to fit you.”
The Weight Watcher’s part-owner-slash-ambassador attributes her recent 20kg weightloss to sticking to the brand’s flexible diet, saying she now feels “liberated”.
“It’s the thing I have been looking for my whole life – to feel a sense of freedom. The taste of freedom? There is nothing better than that!”
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019