Step aside, 5:2 diet… Make way for the ketogenic diet!
Haven't heard of the keto diet? Well, basically, it comprises of eating very small amounts of carbohydrates and medium amounts of protein (most of your daily kilojoule intake would come from eating fats).
And while it was originally used as a treatment for children with epilepsy, now many people – celebrities like Kim Kardashian, included – have adopted it as a weight loss method.
And while experts warn that adopting the ketogenic diet for weight loss will give you short-term results, the key to making those results stick is maintaining a healthy eating pattern that is sustainable over time.
For example, dietary recommendations impact each individual differently; everyone is unique, and what works for one person, may not work for another. There is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.
But in the case of these keto diet before-and-after shots, it seems that this diet plan has given these women the results they were after, starting with these keto Instagrammers…
@sharon__sandhu has been on her keto journey since late last year and her transformation is astounding. "My journey through keto started on October 1, 2017 at 78kg. Now eight months down, over 18kg lighter at 59kg. A healthy outside starts with the inside – you are what you eat!" she says.
@carbfreekayla says that the picture on the left shows her former self: a woman who had persistent bloating, skin breakouts and stretch marks. On the right? Well, two years later and in her own words…
"[The woman on the right] is a happy and healthy 22-year-old who has eliminated bloating, does intermittent fasting and keto and has naturally erased stretch marks with proper eating habits. I always feel vulnerable posting pics like this but I post to remind myself how far I've come and hopefully I can inspire someone else to change for the good!"
@ketoxmermaid, a mum of two from Southern California, has been on the ketogenic diet since this time last year. In that time, she has lost 11.33kg – and has the pictures to prove it.
@ketohilary has been on her ketogenic diet journey for more than a year-and-a-half, and in that time, she has lost 22.5kg – and counting! "Keto worked for me! But it will only work for you if you are ready and done with where you are," she says.
@keto.with.libiloo is 47 years old and suffered from "a lot of hormonal issues" before she started on the keto diet in January. Now, she says she feels like things have "normalized [sic]". "I am no longer controlled by my cravings. I may be losing slowly on the scale but I'm totally okay with that," she says.
According to @lexj94's, her before-and-after pics are down to her dedication to the keto diet and eating keto foods. And while she is only 1kg off her 9kg weight loss target, she is still beyond proud of her progress.
"I remember trying on this dress feeling horrible about myself, not wanting to take pictures," she says. "This morning I tried it on and it fit PERFECT for the first time. This is only the beginning!"
If you want to change your diet in any way, or would like to learn more about the ketogenic diet and it's right for you, contact your GP and a nutritionist today.
- MindHow to live a life less rushed: savouring the good times
- CareerBrendan Cole's new X-Factor Celebrity gig and why he's happy to have the tables turned
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- WeddingsSevens star Stacey Waaka's heavenly Waikato wedding
Woman's DayToday 2:35pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan made a private visit to a women’s centre - her first appearance since stepping back
Now To LoveYesterday 12:55pm
- RoyalsThe cute moment Prince William mistakes a photo of himself for Princess Charlotte
Now To LoveYesterday 10:50am
- Pregnancy & BirthMeet Jessica Mutch-McKay's sweet little bundle of joy Margaux
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- CompetitionsWin an amazing Dr. Hauschka pamper pack worth $530
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 9:00am
- Career'I loved the fish and chips': Call The Midwife Jenny Agutter's trip of a lifetime to New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- CareerSusan Boyle looks back on a magical 11 years since she shot to fame on Britain's Got Talent
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 7:28am
- At homeJennifer Lawrence is selling her stunning New York penthouse apartment
Now To LoveJan 15, 2020
- RoyalsWhy The Crown has changed the way we think about the royals
Now To LoveJan 15, 2020
- MindTaking on anorexia: 'How we saved my teenage daughter's life'
Now To LoveJan 15, 2020
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry issue a joint statement denying rift rumours
Now To LoveJan 14, 2020