When news broke earlier this year that beloved Kiwi entertainer Jason Gunn had been admitted to hospital following a heart attack, his medical emergency was described as “minor”.
However, as the More FM host and wife Janine reveal exclusively in this week’s New Zealand Woman’s Weekly, Jason’s heart attack was anything but minor.
“After the press release went out, one of the cardiologists came in to see me,” Jason says.
“He goes, ‘Look, Jason, I need to put something right - I read in the paper that you’d had a minor heart attack. You’ve actually had a severe heart attack’. I was like, oh. Wow. This is surreal!”
Now on the road to recovery 10 weeks after the terrifying incident, Jason admits he never expected himself to be at risk of heart problems, however a family history he was only vaguely aware of caught up with him - and he’s now urging others to look into their own families medical records.
“For God’s sake people, please, check it out,” he says.
While he’s expected to make a full recovery with no lasting damage, he does admit he feared for his life three times the day he was hospitalised, where doctors discovered that one of his main arteries was completely blocked.
The experience has put things into perspective, Jason nods - which is also true for his wife of 21 years Janine, who works with the broadcaster at the production company they own, Whitebait studios in Christchurch.
“We dodged a bullet,” she says.
For more, including the changes Jason is making following his brush with death and what he’s planning on giving up, see this week’s issue of New Zealand Woman’s Weekly, out now.
- RoyalsPrince Harry reveals he felt 'there was no option' but to leave royal life
Now To LoveToday 11:18am
- RoyalsMike and Zara Tindall open up about family life and why they consider Australia their 'second home'
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 11:00am
- Diet & NutritionWhich diet would work best for you according to your personality
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen confirms the Sussexes will no longer use their HRH titles in an update on their royal exit
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- MindParalympian Sophie Pascoe opens up about her two-year private battle and why she tries to stay real on social media
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:57am
- Body8 Kiwi stars reveal their health, fitness and wellbeing goals for 2020
Good Health ChoicesJan 18, 2020
- MindHow to live a life less rushed: savouring the good times
NEXTJan 18, 2020
- CareerBrendan Cole's new X-Factor Celebrity gig and why he's happy to have the tables turned
Woman's DayJan 18, 2020
- CompetitionsWin $200 worth of back to school gift cards with Woman's Day
Now To LoveJan 17, 2020
- WeddingsSevens star Stacey Waaka's heavenly Waikato wedding
Woman's DayJan 17, 2020
- RoyalsThe cute moment Prince William mistakes a photo of himself for Princess Charlotte
Now To LoveJan 16, 2020
- Pregnancy & BirthMeet Jessica Mutch-McKay's sweet little bundle of joy Margaux
Woman's DayJan 16, 2020
- CompetitionsWin an amazing Dr. Hauschka pamper pack worth $530
Good Health ChoicesJan 16, 2020