When you think of Janet Jackson, insecure is not a word that comes to mind. But, like lost of women, the music icon has had to learn to love her body and everything that makes her unique.
In the latest issue of In Style, Janet, 52, opened up about overcoming her biggest insecurities and the moment she realized that she was beautiful.
"I had to find something in my body that I loved, and that was difficult for me to do," Janet revealed.
"At first, I couldn't find anything. I would look in the mirror and start crying. I didn't like that I was not attractive. I didn't like anything about me. But I wound up falling in love with the small of my back. And then from there I found more things."
Janet admitted that it took her a while to feel beautiful, but as she got older she started to feel less insecure.
"A lot of it has to do with experience, getting older. Understanding, realizing that there isn't just one thing that is considered beautiful. Beautiful comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors," she added.
Not only did Janet learn to accept her body but she also found beauty in her smile. "And then finally realising my smile isn't that bad after all. I thought I looked like the Joker because it was so big," she confessed.
With the help of her therapist, Janet learned about "finding that thing you like about yourself" and once she saw herself as attractive, she revealed that there are "lots of different things" that can make someone beautiful.
She said, "It's vulnerability. It's power. It's confidence. It's happiness. It's seeing the goodness in the soul. It's spirituality. It's being selfless and what you do for others before doing for yourself."
Via our sister site Closer Weekly.
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am