When you think of Janet Jackson, insecure is not a word that comes to mind. But, like lost of women, the music icon has had to learn to love her body and everything that makes her unique.
In the latest issue of In Style, Janet, 52, opened up about overcoming her biggest insecurities and the moment she realized that she was beautiful.
"I had to find something in my body that I loved, and that was difficult for me to do," Janet revealed.
"At first, I couldn't find anything. I would look in the mirror and start crying. I didn't like that I was not attractive. I didn't like anything about me. But I wound up falling in love with the small of my back. And then from there I found more things."
Janet admitted that it took her a while to feel beautiful, but as she got older she started to feel less insecure.
"A lot of it has to do with experience, getting older. Understanding, realizing that there isn't just one thing that is considered beautiful. Beautiful comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors," she added.
Not only did Janet learn to accept her body but she also found beauty in her smile. "And then finally realising my smile isn't that bad after all. I thought I looked like the Joker because it was so big," she confessed.
With the help of her therapist, Janet learned about "finding that thing you like about yourself" and once she saw herself as attractive, she revealed that there are "lots of different things" that can make someone beautiful.
She said, "It's vulnerability. It's power. It's confidence. It's happiness. It's seeing the goodness in the soul. It's spirituality. It's being selfless and what you do for others before doing for yourself."
Via our sister site Closer Weekly.
- RoyalsWhen and where will Baby Archie’s christening take place? Here are all the details
Now To LoveToday 4:45pm
- TVThe moving reason behind Dancing With The Stars winner Manu Vatuvei's vow to keep dancing
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- TVFormer DWTS dancer Carol-Ann Hanna gives her verdict on the final show and Manu's win
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionHow this Auckland woman lost 30kg through hypnosis
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- FertilityConsidering freezing your eggs? Here's everything you need to know
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilySamantha Hayes shares her heartache after visiting a refugee camp in Jordan
- BodyRotorua parents' heartbreak: only a miracle will save their little boy
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerJulie Anne Genter on bicycles, babies and what's going to make a better world
The Australian Women's WeeklyJun 15, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS' Mick Gould has posed naked in the name of rural mental health
Now To LoveJun 14, 2019