When you think of Janet Jackson, insecure is not a word that comes to mind. But, like lost of women, the music icon has had to learn to love her body and everything that makes her unique.
In the latest issue of In Style, Janet, 52, opened up about overcoming her biggest insecurities and the moment she realized that she was beautiful.
"I had to find something in my body that I loved, and that was difficult for me to do," Janet revealed.
"At first, I couldn't find anything. I would look in the mirror and start crying. I didn't like that I was not attractive. I didn't like anything about me. But I wound up falling in love with the small of my back. And then from there I found more things."
Janet admitted that it took her a while to feel beautiful, but as she got older she started to feel less insecure.
"A lot of it has to do with experience, getting older. Understanding, realizing that there isn't just one thing that is considered beautiful. Beautiful comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors," she added.
Not only did Janet learn to accept her body but she also found beauty in her smile. "And then finally realising my smile isn't that bad after all. I thought I looked like the Joker because it was so big," she confessed.
With the help of her therapist, Janet learned about "finding that thing you like about yourself" and once she saw herself as attractive, she revealed that there are "lots of different things" that can make someone beautiful.
She said, "It's vulnerability. It's power. It's confidence. It's happiness. It's seeing the goodness in the soul. It's spirituality. It's being selfless and what you do for others before doing for yourself."
Via our sister site Closer Weekly.
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals Prince Louis has started talking
Now To LoveToday 9:20am
- BodyHer sister's keeper: Brave battler Eva Mitchell's unbreakable sibling bond
Woman's DayToday 4:40pm
- MakeupHow to find a foundation that matches your skin perfectly
Now To LoveToday 3:10pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine shares her family’s secret for picking the best Christmas tree
Now To LoveToday 11:55am
- CareerChristmas horoscopes: What's in store for you this festive season
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerTina Turner reflects on her roller coaster life and the peace that has come with retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CareerSocial media parody queen Celeste Barber on unexpected fame and where she draws the line
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin a wireless headphone prizepack thanks to JBL and The Australian Women's Weekly
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 7:00am
- RelationshipsYellow Wiggle Emma Watkins has a new boyfriend - and she didn't have to go far to find him
Now To LoveYesterday 4:26pm
- Diet & NutritionHere are five health foods we’re set to be eating more of in 2020
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Career'I wasn't expecting that': New podcast explores tricky issues for women in 40s and 50s
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- FamilyNZ's smallest couple: Meet our Christmas miracle baby
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- RoyalsBuckingham Palace responds to Virginia Roberts' claims about Prince Andrew
Now To LoveDec 03, 2019