When you think of Janet Jackson, insecure is not a word that comes to mind. But, like lost of women, the music icon has had to learn to love her body and everything that makes her unique.
In the latest issue of In Style, Janet, 52, opened up about overcoming her biggest insecurities and the moment she realized that she was beautiful.
"I had to find something in my body that I loved, and that was difficult for me to do," Janet revealed.
"At first, I couldn't find anything. I would look in the mirror and start crying. I didn't like that I was not attractive. I didn't like anything about me. But I wound up falling in love with the small of my back. And then from there I found more things."
Janet admitted that it took her a while to feel beautiful, but as she got older she started to feel less insecure.
"A lot of it has to do with experience, getting older. Understanding, realizing that there isn't just one thing that is considered beautiful. Beautiful comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors," she added.
Not only did Janet learn to accept her body but she also found beauty in her smile. "And then finally realising my smile isn't that bad after all. I thought I looked like the Joker because it was so big," she confessed.
With the help of her therapist, Janet learned about "finding that thing you like about yourself" and once she saw herself as attractive, she revealed that there are "lots of different things" that can make someone beautiful.
She said, "It's vulnerability. It's power. It's confidence. It's happiness. It's seeing the goodness in the soul. It's spirituality. It's being selfless and what you do for others before doing for yourself."
Via our sister site Closer Weekly.
- RoyalsPrincess Diana’s niece Lady Kitty Spencer is converting to Judaism for her fiancé
Now To LoveToday 10:40am
- CareerSt Matthew-in-the-City's first female vicar Reverend Dr Helen Jacobi lets us into her world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- RoyalsWhy this adorable photo of Princess Charlotte means so much to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveYesterday 12:20pm
- FamilySonny Bill Williams pays tribute to wife Alana for holding their family together as he leaves for England
Now To LoveYesterday 11:57am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine gets candid about motherhood: from hypnobirthing to ‘mum guilt’
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ intruder Mike Bullot is Chelsea Winter's former husband
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- TVThe Bachelorette intruders: Meet the men hoping to steal the show
Now To LoveFeb 16, 2020
- Pregnancy & Birth‘I gave birth to our miracle baby the night before my wedding’
Woman's DayFeb 15, 2020