For many women - a large bottom is something they actively try to avoid. But they needn't worry, as it seems big bums are not only back in fashion, they could also be a sign of good health.
A study published in the International Journal of Obesity has claimed that women who have larger derrières are actually smarter and more resistant to chronic illnesses.
Studies cited in the research project found women with larger bums tended to have lower levels of cholesterol, and produce more hormones to metabolize sugar, than their friends with smaller behinds.
The tissues found on the thighs and bum of these women seemed to ‘catch’ harmful fatty particles, preventing them from heading to the heart and causing cardiovascular disease.
And having a larger behind also seemed to link to having high levels of the hormone that regulates weight, which in turn had anti-inflammatory and vascular-protective benefits.
Women with larger bums also had higher levels of Omega 3 fats (that helped build it in the first place) – which is a fat proven to aid brain development.
In short, ladies who carry fat around the thighs and bum actually have several health boosting benefits from it, however the same amount of fat around the abdominal region is bad for internal organs.
- BodyToni Street reflects on the extreme toll her auto-immune disease took on her body
Now To LoveToday 4:02pm
- WeddingsTwo years in the making: Tiki Taane's epic marriage proposal
Woman's DayToday 1:55pm
- TVAussie Bachelor Matt Agnew's embarrassing kissing confession
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- RoyalsA royal biographer dishes on what the Queen carries in her handbag
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- MoneyEverything you need to know about saving for your retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerPaul Henry reveals he's 'in talks' to return to TV
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin an indulgent prize pack from Young Living Oils
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are 6 energy-boosting food alternatives to coffee
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- Food & DrinksThese Kiwi oats are the perfect go-to breakfast for busy mornings
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- FamilyA former teen mum shares how she went from pregnant prefect to top of NZ in her career
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- RelationshipsGreg Boyed's widow posts a touching tribute on the first anniversary of his death
Now To LoveYesterday 11:32am
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her wedding day makeup look
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Travel News'Travel agents are retro' and 3 other misconceptions about travel consultants debunked
Now To LoveYesterday 10:11am
- PetsNZ police have posted a touching tribute to Constable Elliott: the world's first police guinea pig
Now To LoveYesterday 9:21am
- CareerBlack Ferns star Kendra Cocksedge: Living her dream and on a mission to help others live theirs
Woman's DayYesterday 8:10am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayAug 20, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveAug 20, 2019