"The key with migraines is to take painkillers when you get the first symptoms and before the pain begins," says Dr Andy Dowson, director of headache services at King’s College Hospital, London.
"If you tend to feel nauseous with migraines, then take special fast- acting painkillers (such as soluble ibuprofen lysine), because these will be effective even if you are sick later."
"However, if you take a triptan (these are given on prescription and work on the brain chemistry), wait until the pain begins."
"If you take this medication too soon, the effects will have worn off by the time the headache starts. And it’s also worth trying to eat or drink something when you first develop migraine symptoms."
"The other day, I drank a couple of glasses of water when I felt my symptoms coming on and I managed to stop the attack in its tracks."
- RelationshipsWhy women in their forties love Keanu Reeves and Alexandra Grant
Now To LoveToday 12:26pm
- WeddingsThe songs Kiwi celebrities walked down the aisle to
Now To LoveToday 8:35am
- FamilyThe best home and baby products for new and expectant parents
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- MindListening to Adele in the car can help reduce stress a new study has found
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles celebrates his birthday with an unexpected pop star and launches a clothing collection
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Career'I always wanted to work with animals': A day in the life of a border control customs officer
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- BodyI survived breast cancer: Greg Sargeaunt is one of 25 Kiwi men diagnosed with breast cancer every year
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:10am
- TVJohn Campbell gets objectified by Matty McLean on Breakfast and loves it
Now To LoveYesterday 8:56am
- RoyalsThe Palace announces the Sussexes will not join the royal family for Christmas at Sandringham
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- CareerRachel Hunter on being single, her love affair with India and why she never feels alone
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 13, 2019
- Pregnancy & BirthHilaria Baldwin begins her journey of healing after miscarrying fifth child
Now To LoveNov 13, 2019
- PetsCelebrities and their pets: Shortland Street's Ria Vandervis and princess pooch Maeby
Woman's DayNov 13, 2019
- SkincareGemma McCaw's 4 natural beauty treatments you can make at home yourself
Now To LoveNov 13, 2019