We rely on our eyes every minute of the day yet our vision is something we take for granted until it is at risk.
Here we discover some of the best nutrients you should make sure you have in your diet, to promote healthy eyes.
Vitamin E is important for the retina.
You can find it in seeds, fruit and seed oils.
Long-term consumption of vitamin C has been shown to contribute to cataract prevention.
Find it in fruit and vegetables.
Because vitamin A helps protect the surface of the eye, it's essential for good vision.
Find it in liver, ricotta, milk and butter.
This important mineral in combination with other antioxidants has been found to significantly reduce the risk of developing age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and may work to slow its progression.
Find it in seafood, meat, nuts and beans.
These antioxidants play a key role in maintaining eye health, working to filter out blue light and mop up hazardous free radicals in the macular.
They may help in the prevention of cataracts and AMD.
Find them in spinach, cabbage and oranges.
This trace mineral is important for the proper function of the retina.
Find it in wholegrain bread, fish and Brazil nuts.
Research has found this antioxidant may play a role in protecting the retina.
Because the production of coenzyme Q10 slows down with age, it's important for patients at risk of age-related eye health issue to consume more of it.
Find it in fish, meat, grains and peanuts.
Glutathione may help protect against cataracts and reduce eye pressure in glaucoma patients.
Find it in avocado, asparagus, walnuts, garlic and eggs.
Lipoic acid may help to reduce the incidence of cataracts.
Find it in yeast, red meat, potatoes and spinach.
A well-balanced diet with plenty of fruit, veges, nuts and fish will go a long way to keeping your eyes healthy, but supplements are worth considering if you think your diet is lacking.
There are specific eye health supplements available but speak to your eye specialist, doctor or naturopath for advice.
- Fashion TrendsThree spring clothing trends to welcome in the warmer weather
Now To LoveToday 4:12pm
- RoyalsThe date of Duchess Catherine and Prince William's tour to Pakistan has been revealed
Now To LoveToday 3:45pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan announces she's added another engagement to her South Africa tour itinerary
Now To LoveToday 10:20am
- BodyCould magnetic therapy be the solution to treating aches and pains?
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:15am
- BodyDr Libby on why we're overusing the word 'stressed' and how we should really be thinking about the term
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Family50 years on from the Manson murders Debra Tate speaks out about her sister Sharon's murder
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- TVHow Athena Angelou went from homeless to radio star in just a few short years
Woman's DayYesterday 7:55am
- Diet & NutritionHow to ensure you're putting the most nutritious grocery options in your trolley
Good Health ChoicesSep 21, 2019
- CareerWhy Jennifer Aniston is looking to the future with a new focus
Now To LoveSep 21, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry shares more details about his upcoming mental health TV series with Oprah
Now To LoveSep 20, 2019
- CareerMy life is stranger than fiction says NZ Children's Book Awards winner Bren MacDibble
New Zealand Woman's WeeklySep 20, 2019