One America’s Got Talent contestant has managed to earn the coveted golden buzzer sending her straight into the semi-finals, despite not being able to hear her own voice.
Appearing on the talent show, deaf singer Mandy Harvey explained that she had battled gradual hearing loss for most of her life – but, when she turned 18, she became completely deaf due to a connective tissue disorder.
“Basically I got sick, and my nerves deteriorated,” said the 29-year-old.
Mandy went on to reveal how losing her hearing caused her to lose hope – until she found a new way to reconnect with her musical roots, through "muscle memory, using visual tuners and trusting my pitch."
On the show, Mandy performed an original song titled Try, which she had written to remind herself never to give up on her dreams.
"After I lost my hearing, I gave up, but I want to do more with my life than just give up," she said.
The young woman performed her song barefoot, in order to feel the tempo and beat through the floor – and stunned the audience and judges leaving them in tears.
"Mandy, I don't think you're going to need a translator for this," said judge Simon Cowell, before pushing the Golden Buzzer, sending her straight through to the semi final live round.
"I mean, I've done this a long time, and this is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen or heard."
- At homeHow clean, green living can start with small day-to-day changes in the kitchen
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- TVLaura Daniel and her DWTS partner Shae Mountain get matching tattoos
Now To LoveToday 10:41am
- RoyalsPrince William was just asked how he'd feel if one of his children came out as gay
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerMeet the trailblazing female shepherd who won a prestigious award previously only won by men
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:18am
- RoyalsYet another example of the harsh double standard Duchess Meghan faces
Now To LoveToday 8:15am
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveYesterday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 8:05am
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveJun 25, 2019