A really easy way not to get sunburned is to cover up – put on a hat and a cotton long-sleeve shirt and seek out shade whenever possible. That way you aren’t relying on sunscreen being applied to every inch of your skin. In my experience, a spot always gets missed and that’s when sunburn happens. Here are some fabulous sunburn remedies I’ve collected over the years:
1. I keep an aloe vera plant in a pot for the healing properties of the gel in its leaves. Simply cut a leaf off, run a sharp knife down the centre of one side and open it out to reveal the gel. This is great for sunburn as well as kitchen burns.
2. Another sunburn remedy is sage. Make a tea by covering a handful of fresh sage leaves with boiling water and leave covered for 20 minutes. Strain and pour into a spray bottle. Keep it in the fridge.
3. Add one cup of cider vinegar to a bath to help balance the pH of sunburned skin and promote healing.
4. Put a cup of rolled oats in a handkerchief and tie at the top. Put in a bath and use the sachet to rub on sore skin. This will also prevent itching.
5. Blitz cucumber in a blender and apply as a paste to sore spots. This provides extra relief.
- BodyCould magnetic therapy be the solution to treating aches and pains?
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:15am
- BodyDr Libby on why we're overusing the word 'stressed' and how we should really be thinking about the term
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- Family50 years on from the Manson murders Debra Tate speaks out about her sister Sharon's murder
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- TVHow Athena Angelou went from homeless to radio star in just a few short years
Woman's DayToday 7:55am
- Diet & NutritionHow to ensure you're putting the most nutritious grocery options in your trolley
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerWhy Jennifer Aniston is looking to the future with a new focus
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVThe Block NZ favourites Ethan and Sam: 'We had a rough run but we stayed true to ourselves'
Woman's DayYesterday 7:30am
- RoyalsPrince Harry shares more details about his upcoming mental health TV series with Oprah
Now To LoveSep 20, 2019
- CareerMy life is stranger than fiction says NZ Children's Book Awards winner Bren MacDibble
New Zealand Woman's WeeklySep 20, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ winners Lisa and Ribz reveal their post-show plans
Woman's DaySep 20, 2019
- MindWhy Shortland Street's Ana Scotney was forced to quit social media
Woman's DaySep 19, 2019