While a nutritious diet and regular exercise are key aspects to a healthier, happier you, one of the biggest secrets to staying lean actually lies in your subconscious habits.
Believe it or not, tiny adjustments to your everyday life can actually help you burn hundreds of calories, which in turn can equate to kilos shed every year.
And the best part? You won’t even realise you’re doing it!
Check out our top 5 favourite ways to burn calories without even realising.
1. Tap that toe
This just in: fidgeting is actually one of the easiest and sneakiest ways to easily shed those winter kilos!
Those who pace or bounce their feet subconsciously under their desk can burn up to 350 calories a day, which can equate to a huge loss of up to 10 kilos per year.
Assuming you don’t consume your lost calories, of course.
2. Swap your desk chair for an exercise ball
Replacing your lazy desk chair for an exercise ball increases the body’s calorie-burning capacity by six percent.
Because the ball forces you to mindlessly use muscle groups that you otherwise wouldn’t such as the abdominals, back, glutes and quads, you can burn a whopping 200 calories by spending just two hours sitting.
3. Drink ice cold water
Of course, experts recommend a glass of water before a meal to supress appetite and avoid over-eating, but that’s only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the key part H20 plays in weight loss.
Next time you feel parched; opt for a glass of icy-cold water as opposed to room temperature water. The coolness of the h20 gives your body a metabolic boost of about 25 calories per glass as your body needs to work harder to warm the water to its core temperature.
If you follow doctor’s orders and drink 8 glasses a day, that’s an easy 200 calories!
4. Eat off smaller plates
A recent study found that swapping your 12-inch plate for a 10-inch one can save you a huge 500 calories. Why? Because you’ll typically serve yourself 20-25% less food to begin with, meaning that overeating will become a thing of the past.
Applying this principle for a year can equate to a weight loss of around 8 kilos! Not bad for literally just sitting and eating.
5. Wander aimlessly
You’d be surprised how many kilos you can burn by simply wandering around.
Walking around the shops for just 40 minutes can burn 100 calories, and since this is something you can easily do on your lunch break, there’s never been a better reason to treat yourself with those stunning boots you've been eyeing!
For those of you hoping to be more frugal, why not check out your local art gallery, museum, or even a solid dose of exploration of a new area!
This story originally appeared on Woman's Day Australia
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019