- Never sit in one position for too long. Take plenty of breaks and stretch often.
- When sitting, use an upright chair and make sure your knees are lower than your hips.
- If you have to sit for long periods of time, put one foot on a low stool.
- Avoid low or soft chairs.
- When working bent over, stand upright, place hands on hips and bend backwards several times.
- Wear low-heeled shoes.
- Avoid lifting while twisting and bending forward.
- To learn more about correct lifting techniques, visit www.acc.co.nz
Once upon a time, when you hurt your back, you were told to go to bed and lie still. Now doctors say that unless you've suffered severe trauma, you should take anti-inflammatories and painkillers and try to stay active.