You can easily update your wardrobe if you target a few signature pieces that are in vogue, and supplement them with some classics that you can mix and match in different ways.
Selecting a couple of garments that feature on-trend fabrics, prints, colours and styles will mean you capture the essence of the latest spring looks.
Jumpsuits and matching print tops and bottoms are a key look, with shoes and accessories that blend seamlessly. It's a versatile style – dress your outfit up with heels, or go casual with the latest sandals. Wearing a different top in a solid colour will give your matching set extra mileage.
Traditional brights have been eclipsed by earthy shades usually associated with cooler months. Rust, mustard and moss green tones transition into spring in floral prints with white accents. Fabrics that drape softly in pretty, feminine styles accentuate the trend and are the perfect way to inject your wardrobe with the latest look.
A classic white shirt is the go-to wardrobe staple that will see you through spring, and on to summer and autumn. It will give an outfit a smart edge, or lend an elegant touch to jeans. Select natural fabrics like cotton and linen to stay on trend.
Ruth finds inspiration for her designs all around her. "I spent a lot of time at Raglan beach last summer and that sparked the idea for a nikau palm print as a statement fabric for a new range."
Trips to LA draw her attention to crisp blue and sandy tones, as well as casual elegance. "I'm always mindful of who we're designing for and the need to have pieces that are casual but contemporary, mixed with clothes that make a dressy statement."
Ruth often gravitates towards simple styles that really work. "I saw a T-shirt dress in Tokyo that had a knot gathering up the front," she says. "I've adapted that and designed one that drapes beautifully and is very flattering."
Shop all your fashion must-have essentials instore and online at farmers.co.nz
*Coming soon to Farmers in-store and online
- MindHilary Barry's perfect clap back at a viewer: ‘Enough with the age-shaming’
Now To LoveToday 9:20am
- Diet & NutritionDiet and ‘detox’ teas have been pulled from New Zealand shelves
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- RelationshipsMatty McLean reveals what partner Ryan calls him… and it’s not what you'd think!
Now To LoveYesterday 1:26pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles met Greta Thunberg and revealed why he doesn't want to disappoint his grandchildren
Now To LoveYesterday 12:55pm
- CareerNigella Lawson's new direction at 60: 'I feel so much more open to anything and everything'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:38am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine speaks out about the isolation she felt when Prince George was a baby
Now To LoveYesterday 9:18am
- WeddingsIt's love-all for tennis star Michael Venus as he marries the mother of his child
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthBreakfast’s Hayley Holt is expecting her first child
Now To LoveJan 22, 2020
- Real LifeFacing the fiery inferno: Kiwi family's frightening Aussie bushfire ordeal
Woman's DayJan 22, 2020
- FamilyRussell Crowe's heartwarming revelation about his sons strikes a chord with many
Now To LoveJan 21, 2020
- TVLaura Daniel joins Seven Sharp team as special correspondent
Now To LoveJan 21, 2020