Zambesi has been at the forefront of quintessentially New Zealand fashion since 1979. Despite being a well-known name, there's still a lot to learn about the designer label, which has been a family affair from the beginning.
As the team celebrates being chosen as the 'Mercedes-Benz Presents' designer to open New Zealand Fashion Week with the first runway show this year, we asked them to divulge some fun facts no one else might know, until now.
1. Elisabeth Findlay was born in Greece and came to New Zealand as a refugee on the MV Goya in 1951.
2. Co-founders and husband and wife team Neville and Elisabeth Findlay first met on a blind date.
3. Neither can remember why they named the brand Zambesi!
4. All of the Zambesi retail store interiors were designed by Neville, who is a design engineer by profession.
5. Neville races cars in his spare time.
6. The first Zambesi workroom was a tiny sun room at Neville and Elisabeth Findlay’s home in Grafton.
7. When Zambesi began they only had one pattern maker, who was also the sample machinist and babysitter.
8. Daughter Sophie, who creates the soundtrack for Zambesi runways, used to get Elisabeth to sew the brand's labels into all of her clothes when she was a kid.
9. Daughter and photographer Marissa designed one of the Zambesi logos when she was 12 and photographed her first Zambesi campaign at 17.
10. Founder and designer of Nom D Margi Robertson is Elisabeth's sister.
11. Neville and Elisabeth's grandson Bruno modelled in the first Zambesi Eyewear campaign.
12. Menswear Designer Dayne Johnston began his life at Zambesi hand-sewing buttons onto garments.
13. All Zambesi clothes are still made in New Zealand.
14. The Zambesi team is a diverse group made up of all ages and nationalities - Russian, Malaysian, Chinese, Ukrainian, Italian, Australian, Maori, Samoan, and more.
15. One of the team's favourite thing to do is present the collections in a show - it’s something they have done in different forms since Zambesi began.
Photos: Marissa Findlay
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am