For Kiwi actress Danielle Cormack, everything changed when she was cast as lawyer Scarlet Meagher in Rake. Within the space of three years, the 46-year-old landed three of the most challenging roles for women on Australian TV: Scarlet; Kate Leigh in Underbelly: Razor; and Bea Smith in Wentworth.
Danielle appears to be drawn to tough female characters. But she says this isn't the case.
"I don't know if they're strong or they're just more complex," she explains. "I like complicated characters. I think it's that they've [the characters] just been drawn really well."
Kate Leigh, sly grog queen of 1930s Sydney, is the perfect example.
"She was walking that fine line of danger all the time and yet she was a devout Catholic," Danielle says.
The actress found the story of Kate and her war with notorious brothel madam Tilly Devine (played by fellow Kiwi Chelsie Preston Crayford) "incredibly fascinating".
As for Bea, Danielle says she had an "extraordinary" time portraying the inmate over four seasons.
"I couldn't have asked for a better character," she says. "To start there as vulnerable and as damaged as she was from her domestic life… and then, strangely, find her place in the world within that world. I will never forget that journey.
"Bea's in my bones. I think she'll stay with me for a long time."
Fans were left reeling when Bea was killed at the end of season four. Danielle felt the loss too.
"I'm really sad to say goodbye to that character, but it was the right time," she says. "She has left a mark for the other characters to be affected by and that's good drama."She adds: "I get mail every day from people telling me how much they loved Bea and how they miss her. And I go, 'Well, great job. Well done by everyone who helped create that character.'"
After such an incredible run on TV, Danielle will be taking to the stage next year. She will star in the play Hedda for Queensland Theatre, among other productions.
Wentworth season 6 is due to be screened in New Zealand in 2018.
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019