While most 17-year-old boys spend an average day slogging away at school or bunking off with their mates, baby-faced Australian singer Jai Waetford’s life is a little different.
Discovered at only 15 years old when he auditioned for The X Factor, it wasn’t long before Jai had dropped out of school and was on the road performing whenever and wherever he could.
These days it’s not uncommon for him to be jumping between the recording studio, meet and greets with his fans and spending time with his celebrity friends.
“It’s funny because it is amazing and I know it’s amazing but you kind of don’t think about that when it’s your life, it’s just what you do,” he tells Woman’s Day during a whistle-stop publicity tour in New Zealand.
“I can sit there and be there, ‘oh I had such a long day at work today,’ and someone will ask what I did an it’s like, ‘I jumped off the Sky Tower and went on a jet boat ride and did some interviews,’ which is all really fun!”
Check out our quick fire questions with Jai in the video above
The Shy singers journey to stardom has seen him reach some amazing milestones, including performing in front of thousands of adoring fans.
“That’s always incredible, coming off stage and people have been singing your songs. I’ll never get sick of that feeling.”
“I love meeting my fans, I’m meeting some of them today actually. They normally say ‘oh my god, I love you’, and I say, ‘oh my god, I love you too!’ And I take thousands of selfies. You try and be happy all the time but when you’ve just come off a 15 hour flight and someone says, ‘I love you’, I’m like, ‘but what does that mean? Do you really?’”
For the past couple of months, Jai, and his mum Alana, have been based in LA, where the young star has been working on new material.
“I was in LA for like six months last year, we spend heaps of time there now. My mum travels everywhere with me and we just stay with friends, managers, Air BnB, hotels, we’ve been pretty lucky. I spent heaps of time in the studio, just pumping out songs.”
To read the full interview, including details about Jai’s new role on Neighbours and what he really thinks about all the Justin Beiber comparisons, check out our next issue.
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsWhy we’re unlikely to see much of Duchess Catherine and Prince William over the coming month
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- WeddingsA wedding photographer has sparked heated debate after urging wedding guests to put away their phones
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- CareerThe tough Kiwi women who are running organisations that were traditionally 'boys' clubs'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:17am
- FamilyShortland Street's Laurel Devenie introduces her gorgeous new arrival to the world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- Relationships9 common dating mistakes - and how you can avoid making them
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Sophia and Mikaere disqualified after cheating scandal
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- FamilyRobbie Magasiva opens up about the devastating loss of his beloved brother Pua
Woman's DayJul 15, 2019