Whether you enjoyed his dance moves or not, Mike McRoberts' elimination from Dancing with the Stars this week came as a bit of a shock.
Many had expected him to go further in the competition. In his final dance he achieved his highest score ever. But the judges were split, and after a dance off with William Wairua, Mike's journey ended.
The popular newsreader loved his experience on the show and enjoyed stepping out of his comfort zone. "It's exciting and a little terrifying, he said "but I've always loved dancing and have never done it before formally, so the opportunity to learn how has been amazing."
He perfected that blue steel look and spent hours in training with dance partner Kristie Williams getting his steps down pat. But it wasn't his feet that everyone was paying attention to - it was his washboard abs.
The 53-year-old admitted he found the nation's new obsession with his fit figure a strange turn. "It's just crazy. I think I'll just carry on doing the news and the abs can go off and do their own thing. Maybe their own show?" he quipped.
His Newshub co-anchor Samantha Hayes was impressed with his dancing ability. But her biggest piece of advice to him was ignored from the get-go, as she told Woman's Day.
Sam advised the fitness fanatic to "keep it classy for as long as possible," suggesting he save the reveal of his impressive physique until the end, when he's "really desperate for votes".
Too late. He was pictured in promotional material for the show in a bedazzled bolero with his chiselled and oiled torso on full display.
In honour of Mike's time on Dancing with the Stars - and those impressive abs - we've rounded up his steamiest moments on the show.
You can watch the video in the player above. And remember - next time he's in work mode, stoically delivering the news to the nation - that hiding under his shiny suit is the physique a man half his age would be proud of.
For more great videos, check out our YouTube channel.
- RelationshipsThe incredible love story of this Kiwi soldier and his Slovenian heroine, who met through a barbed wire fence at a POW camp
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionFibre 101: Everything you need to know about this essential dietary component
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- RoyalsWhy the Queen allowed Duchess Catherine to break protocol and kiss her in public
Now To LoveYesterday 3:18pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie’s latest outfit has a sweet connection to her royal wedding last year
Now To LoveYesterday 11:45am
- Real LifeA Christchurch surgeon describes what it was like to be working on the day of the mosque attacks
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- RoyalsSee the vibrant flower that's been named after Baby Archie
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthNewshub's Melissa Davies is pregnant with her first child
Now To LoveYesterday 9:08am
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMay 23, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesMay 23, 2019