He's been called a ladies' man, big sook and hot head, but never in his 35 years has Married At First Sight star Sean Thomsen been called a woman.
"I'm the blokiest bloke I know," he laughs.
While his new girlfriend Tracey Jewel has recently transformed physically, reversing $9,000 of plastic surgery, Sean is doing no such thing and has been forced to defend himself against rumours he's transitioning his gender, simply because of a loose resemblance to US chat show queen Ellen DeGeneres.
The speculation began a while back when Sean bleached his hair "for fun". Nick Furphy, a mate and former MAFS contestant, saw the makeover and yelled out, "Ellen! You look like Ellen."
"I thought it was funny too, then several months later the trolling began," says Sean, whose head was replaced with Ellen's in several online pictures.
"I don't blame Nick, I just think the timing was unfortunate, because people were looking for an excuse to pay out on me after how I was portrayed."
"Crucial rebuttals were edited out of the showdown I had with Dean [Wells] in the reunion episode, making me look like an angry, jealous lover. Watching the footage back, it's totally understandable people went off me. Even I didn't like me!"
Expressing the views of many, one fan wrote, "It's hard to take him seriously when he looks like Ellen DeGeneres."
The vitriol got too much for Tracey Jewel – Dean's "wife", who Sean is now dating.
She messaged Nick, imploring him to take down the pictures he'd put online. "She was upset, but I was more amused… Plus, Ellen is revered worldwide, so it can't be that bad a thing!"
Aside from their hair colour, the reality star doesn't think he looks anything like 60-year-old Ellen. "And I'm certainly not transitioning to a woman!
"But there's a silver lining. I've heard someone has approached Ellen on my behalf and I may even end up on her show!"
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Stacy and Adam's biggest challenge
Woman's DayYesterday 11:39am
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson brings to light one of the royal family's saddest tales from the past
Now To LoveYesterday 11:39am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan reveals how she made her royal wedding to Prince Harry feel ‘intimate’
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Food & DrinksCassidy in the Kitchen: Bravo NZ host Cassidy Morris's easy peanut butter cups
Now To LoveYesterday 8:47am
- RelationshipsDWTS judge Camilla Sacre-Dallerup's romantic Queenstown escape with her husband
Woman's DayYesterday 8:35am
- MindWestside's Antonia Prebble talks motherhood, career and how she nurtures her mind, body and soul
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:00am
- BodyHow to best take care of your skin in cold winter weather
Now To LoveYesterday 7:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe intrepid Kiwi couple in their sixties who trekked 700km across Jordan
The Australian Women's WeeklyJun 23, 2019
- FitnessFeeling sore after you workout? Try adding these 6 steps to your exercise routine
Good Health ChoicesJun 22, 2019
- CareerKanoa Lloyd on what compels her to speak up for others
NEXTJun 22, 2019
- FamilyClarke Gayford reveals Neve received a birthday present from Prince William!
Now To LoveJun 21, 2019