He's been called a ladies' man, big sook and hot head, but never in his 35 years has Married At First Sight star Sean Thomsen been called a woman.
"I'm the blokiest bloke I know," he laughs.
While his new girlfriend Tracey Jewel has recently transformed physically, reversing $9,000 of plastic surgery, Sean is doing no such thing and has been forced to defend himself against rumours he's transitioning his gender, simply because of a loose resemblance to US chat show queen Ellen DeGeneres.
The speculation began a while back when Sean bleached his hair "for fun". Nick Furphy, a mate and former MAFS contestant, saw the makeover and yelled out, "Ellen! You look like Ellen."
"I thought it was funny too, then several months later the trolling began," says Sean, whose head was replaced with Ellen's in several online pictures.
"I don't blame Nick, I just think the timing was unfortunate, because people were looking for an excuse to pay out on me after how I was portrayed."
"Crucial rebuttals were edited out of the showdown I had with Dean [Wells] in the reunion episode, making me look like an angry, jealous lover. Watching the footage back, it's totally understandable people went off me. Even I didn't like me!"
Expressing the views of many, one fan wrote, "It's hard to take him seriously when he looks like Ellen DeGeneres."
The vitriol got too much for Tracey Jewel – Dean's "wife", who Sean is now dating.
She messaged Nick, imploring him to take down the pictures he'd put online. "She was upset, but I was more amused… Plus, Ellen is revered worldwide, so it can't be that bad a thing!"
Aside from their hair colour, the reality star doesn't think he looks anything like 60-year-old Ellen. "And I'm certainly not transitioning to a woman!
"But there's a silver lining. I've heard someone has approached Ellen on my behalf and I may even end up on her show!"
- RoyalsPrince Charles is out of self-isolation after recovering from Covid-19
Now To LoveToday 10:50am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry share their final Instagram post as working royals
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- RelationshipsJennifer Aniston and Courteney Cox celebrate 25 years of friendship
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyThe Breeze's Robert Scott: We've downsized and sold our family home to become apartment dwellers
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09pm
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ: Richie Boyens wins Lily McManus' heart
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ: Lesina explains her shock decision to leave the show alone
Now To LoveYesterday 7:52pm
- Pregnancy & BirthRonan and Storm Keating have welcomed a baby daughter
Now To LoveYesterday 2:50pm
- TVBored already? Here are five ways the men passed the time in the Bachelorette mansion
Now To LoveYesterday 1:25pm
- RoyalsThe Sussexes have responded to President Trump’s refusal to foot the bill for their security
Now To LoveYesterday 1:15pm
- BodyDoctors and vets answer your questions on Covid-19, living in a bubble and sanitisation
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry have hired the head of their new non-profit organisation
Now To LoveYesterday 11:20am
- FitnessSam Hayes' adorable exercise buddy will melt your heart
Now To LoveYesterday 9:26am
- CompetitionsWin an Essence of Humanity skincare pack thanks to Countdown!
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ: Lesina dumps Logan... so does that mean Aaron gets the final rose?
Now To LoveMar 29, 2020
- FamilyParenting through Covid-19: 50 things to do with your kids during lockdown
Now To LoveMar 29, 2020