You read about Married at First Sight Australia contestant Patrick Miller's struggles with his mental health in Woman's Day, plus his bond with Kiwi contestants Gareth Noble and Wayne McIntosh, but one thing the Aussie star has never opened up about is his first marriage… until now.
Before appearing on MAFS, the Melbourne furniture importer, 36, was married to a friend of one of his AFL footie mates, but the union ended after just 10 months when his bride refused to let Patrick's sick father move in with them. He immediately called it quits and their pair haven't spoken since.
"My first marriage was when I was 26, to a girl I met when I was 23 years old," he says, speaking exclusively to Now To Love. "She was from a Vietnamese family from a sheltered upbringing."
Patrick says their marriage was "my idea of an ideal relationship", but he was also taking care of his elderly father. He explains, "My old man was 50 when he had me. There was a bit of an age gap between my mother and father, and my parents split when I was 10. Since then, the responsibilities I had were significant compared to kids of my age. My dad was basically an extension of me, a huge part of me. I had to look after him. He had health issues.
"My wife and I put a lot of money down on a house and started building it, but then she told me, 'I can't live with your dad.' I couldn't bear to see my dad getting into taxis with oxygen tanks, trying to find his own accommodation – he taught me everything I knew.
"When it came to seeing him off to a nursing home, I thought, 'No, I'm not doing this.' I asked her again and she still said she didn't want my dad living with us, so I ended it. I got the marriage annulled. That was the last time I spoke to her. That was it."
Patrick admits the situation was "very dramatic", but he has no regrets following his father's death at age 84 in 2014. "I made the right decision for myself and my dad. If I'd told my old man to go to a nursing home, I'd be regretting it every day from when he passed."
Meanwhile, Patrick's ex-wife got remarried just over a month ago. "I couldn't be happier for her," the reality star says.
- RoyalsKiwi royal Gary Lewis has split from Lady Davina Windsor
Now To LoveToday 8:45am
- Pregnancy & BirthShortland Street star Laurel Devenie's perfectly-timed pregnancy
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Melissa is on the hunt for a Kiwi bachelor
Woman's DayToday 8:20am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's first appearance after her maternity leave has been revealed
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- Married at First SightDevastating news as MAFS' Nic reveals his cancer has returned
Now To LoveYesterday 11:28am
- FamilyKatie Holmes and her daughter Suri bond with women and children at a refugee camp in Greece
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- FamilyGemma McCaw on the importance of being a role model for your children
Woman's DayYesterday 10:30am
- BodyMeet Caleb Wright - the 12-year-old brain cancer sufferer bringing laughter to other sick kids
Woman's DayYesterday 8:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Tamara and Mick get cosy off screen
Now To LoveYesterday 8:33am
- Mind4 reasons why embracing boredom could change your life for the better
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:30am
- Diet & Nutrition'I Quit Sugar' author Sarah Wilson talks diet, anxiety and going back-to-basics
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:00am
- BodyHow this woman came up with a way to help women struggling with PCOS take control
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:45am
- BodyHow to understand your body clock for the best quality sleep
Good Health ChoicesMar 24, 2019