Just when we were a tad disappointed that the second series of Married at First Sight NZ didn't provide as much drama as the Australian version, Monique Lee and Gareth Noble were spotted kissing and holding hands at a MAFS party celebrating the end of the season.
"Gareth and I did kiss while clubbing in Christchurch," Monique told Stuff.
"It wasn't planned and was very unexpected. We care a lot for our MAFS family, even if we didn't show that in the best way on Saturday night. We are all still friends," she said.
Gareth was paired with 32-year-old promotions manager Ottie Schwartz, while Monique was matched with 27-year-old policy analyst Fraser Pearce.
Ottie called things off at the second commitment ceremony, citing a difference in their morals and the biggest hurdle they faced - the fact that Ottie didn't want children.
Monique and Fraser made it through to the end where they mutually agreed to end their relationship, having failed to find a romantic spark.
Both former spouses felt blindsided by the hook up. Monique says she told Fraser and Ottie what happened "the next day," but both Fraser and Ottie maintain that wasn't the case, and that they in fact found out from someone else.
"Both Ottie and I are hurt about the environment in which it happened, and how we didn't find out what happened from them first," Fraser told Stuff.
"Behaving like this at a social event for our friends and family, hosted by our MAFS family to celebrate our journey together wasn't mindful of either Fraser or myself," Ottie told the publication.
"No one ever wants to hear this kind of news from a third party. But I wish them all the best."
It later emerged that Ottie had been charged with drink driving after leaving the party that night.
Monique was forced to confirm the rumour about her and Gareth after they were spotted going home together after the party. A photo has also surfaced of them holding hands under a table.
The success rate of this season was markedly better than the last series, with two couples staying together after the end of the experiment; Dan and Yuki, who were never in doubt, and Sam and Tayler who, after deciding to end things before the final commitment ceremony, continued their relationship away from the pressure of the show.
We wait with bated breath to see whether Monique and Gareth pursue their new relationship once the controversy dies down. Watch this space!
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year? The costs are rather staggering
Now To LoveToday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayToday 8:05am
- TVWhy 2019's Dancing with the Stars cast was so close - and who's missing who now that it's over
Now To LoveYesterday 3:42pm
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine and Prince William are reportedly planning a royal tour of Asia this year
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- CareerThe Chicks Suzanne Lynch on nearing 70 and life being more exciting than ever
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight's Martha Kalifatidis opens up about being bullied
Now To LoveYesterday 9:55am
- FamilyMental health advocate Mike King opens up about his daughter Alex following in his footsteps
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:41am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has upgraded her engagement ring from Prince Harry
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyThe woman who supported Arthur Taylor through four decades in prison
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Stacy and Adam's biggest challenge
Woman's DayJun 24, 2019
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson brings to light one of the royal family's saddest tales from the past
Now To LoveJun 24, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan reveals how she made her royal wedding to Prince Harry feel ‘intimate’
Now To LoveJun 24, 2019