We had all so hoped that single dad John Robertson had finally found true love in his second time down the Married at First Sight aisle with bride Melissa Walsh. But today, in a long and heartfelt post, Melissa announced that it was all over.
The easygoing dad of two daughters had, at times, struggled to express his true emotions, and Melissa had had her concerns about this. He had also seen the 90-minute car ride that separated their home towns as an obstacle, and neither was prepared to move.
But at their final commitment ceremony he at last told Melissa it was "about time" he declared how much she meant to him, and the future seemed bright. Melissa also told John she was sure they could overcome the practical obstacles.
But it seems, the couple could not overcome all of them.
It can now be declared that every single one of the official MAFS match-ups for 2018 have failed. Of course, there are some others from the partner swaps that are apparently still going strong.
Here's Mel's post:
And the emotional caption:
"As you can all see, John and I have had an amazing experience together over the past six months.
"You have followed our journey and saw our caring for each other grow over the experiment. We genuinely adored spending time together and getting to know each other. We hit it off straight away and felt an immediate connection and mutual respect for each other.
"We lived together so easily and it reminded us both how wonderful it is to be married and have a supportive, loving partner which is something neither of us have had for a long time. We did think there would be some obstacles outside in the real world but thought we had a strong enough bond to overcome them.
"We know there's been a lot of speculation about whether we are together any more and wanted to be fully transparent and let you know where our relationship is at as you have all been so encouraging and supportive of the two of us.
"It has been a very difficult decision and it makes us both very sad to say we have decided to no longer continue as a couple.
"We still have the utmost respect for each other but have found significant differences in our lives and expectations in relationships. We have spoken at length about how to make it work and have been spending time with each other to let our relationship unfold but both agree it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere.
"We still care deeply for each other as friends and will never forget the incredible times we have had together.
"I could not have gone through this process with anybody else as John is a wonderful and kind man. I am very disappointed that it hasn't worked as I went into the experiment looking for true love.
"I had been through hell with my last marriage as you know and thought I wasn't meant to have a relationship ever again.
"Being part of this experiment was the best thing I have ever done as it reminded me that perhaps there is a love out there for me and I thank Married at First Sight for opening my world again to love."
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020