We had all so hoped that single dad John Robertson had finally found true love in his second time down the Married at First Sight aisle with bride Melissa Walsh. But today, in a long and heartfelt post, Melissa announced that it was all over.
The easygoing dad of two daughters had, at times, struggled to express his true emotions, and Melissa had had her concerns about this. He had also seen the 90-minute car ride that separated their home towns as an obstacle, and neither was prepared to move.
But at their final commitment ceremony he at last told Melissa it was "about time" he declared how much she meant to him, and the future seemed bright. Melissa also told John she was sure they could overcome the practical obstacles.
But it seems, the couple could not overcome all of them.
It can now be declared that every single one of the official MAFS match-ups for 2018 have failed. Of course, there are some others from the partner swaps that are apparently still going strong.
Here's Mel's post:
And the emotional caption:
"As you can all see, John and I have had an amazing experience together over the past six months.
"You have followed our journey and saw our caring for each other grow over the experiment. We genuinely adored spending time together and getting to know each other. We hit it off straight away and felt an immediate connection and mutual respect for each other.
"We lived together so easily and it reminded us both how wonderful it is to be married and have a supportive, loving partner which is something neither of us have had for a long time. We did think there would be some obstacles outside in the real world but thought we had a strong enough bond to overcome them.
"We know there's been a lot of speculation about whether we are together any more and wanted to be fully transparent and let you know where our relationship is at as you have all been so encouraging and supportive of the two of us.
"It has been a very difficult decision and it makes us both very sad to say we have decided to no longer continue as a couple.
"We still have the utmost respect for each other but have found significant differences in our lives and expectations in relationships. We have spoken at length about how to make it work and have been spending time with each other to let our relationship unfold but both agree it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere.
"We still care deeply for each other as friends and will never forget the incredible times we have had together.
"I could not have gone through this process with anybody else as John is a wonderful and kind man. I am very disappointed that it hasn't worked as I went into the experiment looking for true love.
"I had been through hell with my last marriage as you know and thought I wasn't meant to have a relationship ever again.
"Being part of this experiment was the best thing I have ever done as it reminded me that perhaps there is a love out there for me and I thank Married at First Sight for opening my world again to love."
- MoneyMoney expert Mary Holm reveals how much money you really need in the bank when you retire - and it's not as much as you think
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsFlower arranging and cute cookies: Inside Duchess Meghan's gorgeous baby shower
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyKiwi teen's bizarre diagnosis: 'You have a plant growing in your ear'
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- RoyalsWho are all the celebrity guests at Duchess Meghan's baby shower?
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- Parenting NewsZoe Marshall urges: don't kiss other people's babies on the mouth
Now To LoveYesterday 1:31pm
- RoyalsBeyonce and JAY-Z just made a surprising tribute to Duchess Meghan in their Brit Awards acceptance speech
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- Celebrity NewsCoro Street's new bad girl - Connie Hyde reveals what it's like playing Sally's sister Gina
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- TVSir David Attenborough the legend: how he's still producing groundbreaking TV series at age 92
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsSerena Williams joins Duchess Meghan for a night out in New York City
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Elizabeth and Bronson speak out about the developing affair between Sam and Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2019