Hilary Barry feels absolutely no pressure about taking on one of the highest profile jobs in New Zealand television.
"I'm excited, not nervous!" the beloved broadcaster and new co-host of Seven Sharp exclusively tells New Zealand Woman's Weekly.
Hilary (48) becomes the latest esteemed broadcaster to fill the 7pm hosting gig - joining legends such as Sir Paul Holmes, Susan Wood, and of course, the recently departed dream team of Mike Hosking and Toni Street.
Despite the pressure that comes with filling such a high-profile position, Hilary says she's going into her job with a simple plan - to be herself, giggling fits and all.
And as for what seat she'll take behind that new desk with Jeremy Wells? Mike's, on the left and for a very good reason – although it surprisingly has nothing to do with prominence or preference.
Rather, as she tells the Weekly, it all comes down to what side of the bed she sleeps on! And, she adds that her former Newshub co-host Mike McRoberts did the exact same thing.
"So I'm really hoping that I'm going to sit on that side, which was the seat occupied by Mike Hosking, but the only reason I want to sit there is that's always been the side that I present on. I'm used to it."
The move from Breakfast, her first role at the state broadcaster since her high profile exit from Mediaworks in 2015, means no more 3am starts, she says - so her husband Michael and her youngest son Ned might actually get to see her a bit more - and she laughs that she's looking forward to a few more date nights!
"To be able to go out during the week suddenly does sound very exciting, although knowing us, we'll probably just limit it to a good book on the couch rather than hitting the town!"
For more, including how she really feels about her new co-host, her surprise welcome to the job by Toni Street, and her thoughts on New Zealand's attitude to women on-screen, pick up a copy of this week's New Zealand Woman's Weekly, out now!
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019