Hilary Barry feels absolutely no pressure about taking on one of the highest profile jobs in New Zealand television.
"I'm excited, not nervous!" the beloved broadcaster and new co-host of Seven Sharp exclusively tells New Zealand Woman's Weekly.
Hilary (48) becomes the latest esteemed broadcaster to fill the 7pm hosting gig - joining legends such as Sir Paul Holmes, Susan Wood, and of course, the recently departed dream team of Mike Hosking and Toni Street.
Despite the pressure that comes with filling such a high-profile position, Hilary says she's going into her job with a simple plan - to be herself, giggling fits and all.
And as for what seat she'll take behind that new desk with Jeremy Wells? Mike's, on the left and for a very good reason – although it surprisingly has nothing to do with prominence or preference.
Rather, as she tells the Weekly, it all comes down to what side of the bed she sleeps on! And, she adds that her former Newshub co-host Mike McRoberts did the exact same thing.
"So I'm really hoping that I'm going to sit on that side, which was the seat occupied by Mike Hosking, but the only reason I want to sit there is that's always been the side that I present on. I'm used to it."
The move from Breakfast, her first role at the state broadcaster since her high profile exit from Mediaworks in 2015, means no more 3am starts, she says - so her husband Michael and her youngest son Ned might actually get to see her a bit more - and she laughs that she's looking forward to a few more date nights!
"To be able to go out during the week suddenly does sound very exciting, although knowing us, we'll probably just limit it to a good book on the couch rather than hitting the town!"
For more, including how she really feels about her new co-host, her surprise welcome to the job by Toni Street, and her thoughts on New Zealand's attitude to women on-screen, pick up a copy of this week's New Zealand Woman's Weekly, out now!
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019