Gypsy Rose Blanchard first made headlines in 2016 when she was sentenced to ten years in prison for her role in the death of her mother, Dee Dee Blanchard.
Since her release, Gypsy Rose — now 32 years old — has been sharing content on social media with the world, gaining millions of followers and becoming a much-talked-about sensation.
Multiple documentaries and docuseries have been released recounting the event, including the popular Mommy Dead and Dearest documentary which is available to stream in New Zealand on Neon.
There's also the 2019 eight-part drama series The Act, the 2019 documentary Gypsy's Revenge, and the newly released 2024 documentary The Prison Confessions of Gypsy Rose Blanchard.
Read on for everything you need to know about Gypsy Rose, including how to stream the shows that share her gripping story.
Gypsy Rose's mother, Dee Dee Blanchard, allegedly had Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. This led her to convince Gypsy Rose that she suffered from numerous medical conditions like muscular dystrophy and required surgeries, medication and support, although the girl could, in fact, walk and was in good health.
In June 2015, when Gypsy was 23 years old, she arranged for her secret boyfriend at the time, Nicholas Godejohn, to stab Dee Dee to death while she hid in the bathroom. As a result, Gypsy Rose was sentenced for second-degree murder in 2016.
In a separate trial in November 2018, Nicholas was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, plus an additional 25 years for armed criminal action.
After serving seven years of her sentence for second degree murder, in December 2023, Gypsy Rose was released on parole from Chillicothe Correctional Center in Missouri.
While Gypsy Rose was serving her prison sentence, she became pen pals with Ryan Anderson, a middle school special education teacher from Louisiana. From May 2020, the pair regularly emailed back and forth. They were married in July 2022 while Gypsy Rose was behind bars. "Our prison wedding was just something to where we can make our vows to each other. It was something that meant something to us. And I think the party is kind of for everybody else," Gypsy Rose told People in 2022.
Released in 2017, HBO's Mommy Dead and Dearest is a highly recommended documentary covering the case of Gypsy Rose Blanchard.
The 2024 docuseries The Prison Confessions of Gypsy Rose Blanchard consists of four episodes, and is a shocking tell-all tale featuring never-seen-before interviews with Gypsy Rose.
Presently, the documentary is available to watch in the United States on Apple TV+.
Gypsy Rose's story also inspired the Hulu eight-part television series The Act. A dramatisation of the real-life events, it was created by author Michelle Dean and stars Joey King, AnnaSophia Robb, Chloë Sevigny, Patricia Arquette and Poorna Jagannathan.
The Act is currently unavailable for streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime in New Zealand, but we'll let you know if this changes.
Gypsy Rose Blanchard's story is also told in the 2019 documentary Gypsy's Revenge.
The documentary is currently unavailable for streaming in New Zealand, but we'll let you know if this changes.
- Real LifeDaredevil Mike Heard on his bungy jumping world record
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 19, 2024
- Celebrity NewsMatty’s leap of faith from Breakfast on TV to afternoon radio
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 19, 2024
- AdviceJudge Jay-Jay helps a dog mum with an intrusive mother in law
Woman's DayFeb 19, 2024
- MoviesStarring Jacob Elordi and Rosamund Pike, Saltburn is the must-see movie of the year
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2024
- Celebrity NewsComedian Abby Howells opens up about her autism diagnosis
Woman's DayFeb 18, 2024
- Real LifeChefs Monique Fiso & Mark Olive's tasty traditions
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 17, 2024
- TVStarring Brangelina, iconic movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith has had a remake with a brand new cast
Now To LoveFeb 16, 2024
- Real LifeSinger-songwriter Julia Grace talks all things mental health
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 16, 2024
- Celebrity NewsShorty star Awa's violent attack: ‘I was hit and spat on!’
Woman's DayFeb 16, 2024
- AdviceJudge Jay-Jay on maintaining a healthy relationship with your ex
Woman's DayFeb 15, 2024
- Celebrity NewsMuch-loved TV presenter Hilary Timmins on her time on screen and her new book
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 15, 2024
- Real LifeAuckland family's leaky home horror: ‘our lives fell apart’
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2024
- MindExperts share how to use colours to brighten your mood
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 13, 2024