While the highly anticipated third season of The Crown is yet to air, it has been reported that X-Files actress Gillian Anderson has been cast as Margaret Thatcher for season four of the hit Netflix series.
While the shows' producers are keeping tight-lipped about what viewers can expect from the upcoming third season, it's evident that the series will jump forward in time to the sixties, after it has previously been confirmed that Claire Foy and Matt Smith, who played Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip respectively, will be replaced with Olivia Colman and Tobias Menzies.
It's been reported season three will cover the years 1963 to 1976 with former prime minister Harold Wilson, played by Jason Watkins, to be heavily featured.
If the speculation rings true, fans of Gillian will have to wait at least a year to see the actress play the controversial prime minister, but as The Guardian reports, it will be interesting to see how the show portrays the relationship between the Queen and the Iron Lady, as there has been a great deal written about the strained relationship between the two.
Margaret Thatcher's biographer Charles Moore has described the former prime minister as being "almost paralysingly correct" about her relationship with the monarch and anxious during the audiences.
Arguably best known for her role as FBI agent Dana Scully from The X-Files, Gillian currently stars in the new hit Netflix series Sex Education, as a sex therapist and mother of the lead character, high school student Otis.
Additional new faces we're excited to see in season three include Helena Bonham Carter who will take over the role as Princess Margaret from Vanessa Kirby, Ben Daniels who will play Margaret's husband Antony Armstrong-Jones and Josh O'Connor who will portray Prince Charles.
In an interview with Jimmy Fallon, Claire Foy talked up the new cast saying, "You'll forget all about me and the rest of the cast. You'll be like, 'Who are they?'"
"We're the warm-up act."
WATCH: Claire Foy talks to Jimmy about new cast of The Crown.
- SkincareAll you need to know about retinol and anti-ageing ingredients
Now To LoveMay 06, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Patrick and Belinda: 'Pat will make a great Dad!'
Woman's DayMay 05, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Bryce & Melissa: 'We're getting our own show!'
Woman's DayMay 04, 2021
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021