The latest season of Married At First Sight has certainly been entertaining. From full-blown affairs to zero chemistry, the participants have given us all plenty to talk about over the past six weeks.
But just how much of MAFS was real, and how much was clever editing? Was it just plain scripted?
"The guy [psychologist] I spoke to during my season was awesome," Jono reveals.
"And he listened to what I had to say and what I was feeling. He helped me through some dark times and was the polar opposite of the relationship experts the show used."
According to Jono, the couples and relationship experts rarely talk.
"I spent at most half a day with John, one-on-one," he says of relationship expert John Aiken.
According to John, participants often want to stay longer on their dates, but they're restricted by time.
You can run, but you can't hide.
"They tried to constantly film me," Jono says. "If I didn't want to be on camera, I'd switch off my mic. They'd [the producers] tell me to turn it back on."
At the dinner parties, the drinks are endlessly flowing.
"You're full of booze," Jono recalls. "There are endless drinks available, and there's not much food on offer. But the esky was always full."
Jono says filming the dinner parties can sometimes go into the early hours of the morning.
"They last for hours," he reveals. "Conversations get out of hand."
Sometimes old footage is reused.
"One time, the camera crew didn't want to film us getting up at 4am," John reveals. "So they used some old footage of me instead."
This season, it was all about the D words – Dean, Davina and drama. But Jono says not all is as it seems.
"Dean and Davina would've been encouraged to go for it," he says. "I felt bad for them."
Revealing what happens behind the scenes, he adds: "They would've been encouraged by producers and producers would've helped set it up."
According to Jono, the producers make participants repeat their lines until they're happy with how it sounds.
"They're always fishing for one-liners," he explains. "My famous line was, 'She wasn't what I ordered' when my partner, Clare, was walking down the aisle.
"They got me to say it a thousand different times."
Future contestants needn't apply – Jono and this season's Ryan were both headhunted for the series.
"I was hit-up at a footy game on a Sunday," Jono says.
"I said no, but took the producer's card. Then they called me when I was at the pub and was convinced it was a good idea!"
Unlike the New Zealand version of the series, the marriages in Australia are just for show.
As a network representative in Australia explains, "In order to comply with the Australian Marriage Act (1961) which requires one month and one day notification, a marriage in law was not conducted."
"Each participant embarked on a commitment ceremony with a wedding celebrant with all due intention to commit fully to this union for the duration of the experiment."
- MoneyMoney expert Mary Holm reveals how much money you really need in the bank when you retire - and it's not as much as you think
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsFlower arranging and cute cookies: Inside Duchess Meghan's gorgeous baby shower
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyKiwi teen's bizarre diagnosis: 'You have a plant growing in your ear'
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- RoyalsWho are all the celebrity guests at Duchess Meghan's baby shower?
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- Parenting NewsZoe Marshall urges: don't kiss other people's babies on the mouth
Now To LoveYesterday 1:31pm
- RoyalsBeyonce and JAY-Z just made a surprising tribute to Duchess Meghan in their Brit Awards acceptance speech
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- Celebrity NewsCoro Street's new bad girl - Connie Hyde reveals what it's like playing Sally's sister Gina
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- TVSir David Attenborough the legend: how he's still producing groundbreaking TV series at age 92
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsSerena Williams joins Duchess Meghan for a night out in New York City
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Elizabeth and Bronson speak out about the developing affair between Sam and Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2019